[Factorio Mod Portal] Allow edits to title and/or category

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
danbopes
Inserter
Inserter

[Factorio Mod Portal] Allow edits to title and/or category

Post by danbopes »

I recently posted this discussion and realized shortly after that I posted it in the wrong category (General vs Ideas & Suggestions). I wanted to edit it, and update the category, but realized I couldn't. Additionally, I wasn't able to delete it either, so it's currently stuck in this wrong category.

Please give users the ability to edit titles and/or edit categories, since we're unable to delete/repost.

Jürgen Erhard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [Factorio Mod Portal] Allow edits to title and/or category

Post by Jürgen Erhard »

At the very least a user should have the ability to delete their own message.

I must messed up the title of a message because I accidentally hit enter while editing it. Then found I can't edit the title anymore. And I can't delete the message and rewrite it (a workaround for not being able to edit the title) either.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Ask the mod author to edit title/category.

I think it's good that not all users are also given these mod powers. As a mod author I can rename incorrect claims in titles by users and indicate resolved status on bug reports etc with title edits. These powers are useless if the mod users have them as well, I would have to delete threads if I didn't have the exclusive control to control thread titles and didn't agree with the title.

Hares
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hares »

Hardly +1 on that
Qon wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:02 pm
I think it's good that not all users are also given these mod powers. As a mod author I can rename incorrect claims in titles by users and indicate resolved status on bug reports etc with title edits. These powers are useless if the mod users have them as well, I would have to delete threads if I didn't have the exclusive control to control thread titles and didn't agree with the title.
Disagreed.
As the topic's author, I am responsible for maintaining its title, especially in cases when you've found additional info and/or a simple typo.
Both Gitlab & GitHub provide full control of the bug item, except that it can't be deleted.
And it's very common when the ticket author changes the title and there's no shame in doing so.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Hares wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:23 pm
Hardly +1 on that
Qon wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:02 pm
Disagreed.
As the topic's author, I am responsible for maintaining its title, especially in cases when you've found additional info and/or a simple typo.
Both Gitlab & GitHub provide full control of the bug item, except that it can't be deleted.
And it's very common when the ticket author changes the title and there's no shame in doing so.
While I agree in premise to what you're saying, on the mod portal the thread title is currently the only resource the mod author has to mark an issue as solved, unrelated or not a bug, or to mark a request as implemented or won't do, etc. GitHub and the like provide the creators with other means, so the poster being able to edit their own title is not a big deal.

If mod authors on the portal were to be given other tools for this, such as subsections they can move threads between or a status tag controllable only by the mod author, then I would be fine with giving thread title control to the posters. Otherwise, I have to agree with Qon.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Hares
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hares »

Let's be honest. You're just hater (seeing this and other MD-related topic).
The most-reasonable solution I've seen is to allow any edits within ~24h.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Hares wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:37 pm
The most-reasonable solution I've seen is to allow any edits within ~24h.
What does the markdown thread have to do with this?

If I had seen a post suggesting allowing edits within 24 hrs, I would've said I was ok with that, assuming the portal can support it. I still feel (if it can be made to support it) that the best solution would be a separate status tag that can be seen without clicking into the individual threads that's changeable only by the mod author and then just allow the poster to freely edit their title with no time restriction.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Hares wrote:
Hater of what exactly? Bad ideas? If so I'll admit it, it's true.

Hares
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hares »

Qon wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:53 pm
Hares wrote:
Not you.
FuryoftheStars is hater on anything new, modern and industry standard.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Hares wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:59 pm
Qon wrote:
Hares wrote:
Not you.
Seriously, you need to stop. You have no idea what you're even talking about, now.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Hares wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:59 pm
Qon wrote:
Hares wrote:
Not you.
I'm the one (not only me though) bringing up the strong and convincing arguments against title edits by users and against Markdown support. You didn't quote me but I hold the same positions in these topics.

Though MD isn't an example of an industry standard for forum software, and neither is allowing users to take away some of the only moderator exclusive powers from the modders. I would also be ok with title edits by users if mod owners could lock titles from being edited and other similar modder-exclusive powers were added. So that I can wield more power over my own message board than any random troll.

Hares
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hares »

1. I didn't use mentioning because I pressed reply button and some posts were written via mobile (including this one), which basically is incompatible with BB, but that's out of topic.

2. The key difference between you two is the fact you provide argumented opinion and I respect such behavior even though I disagree with those arguments.

3. You may like it or not, but *everything* is now using the MD format – partially or completely, including *forums* like Discord & Reddit. And yes, those *are* forums despite not stating that explicitly.

4. Agreed that ability to lock a thread would be a good addition, should prevent some unwanted discussions, even though the chance of getting these in Factorio is pretty low (the overall toxicity of community is significantly less than the average toxicity in the Internet).

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Hares wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:11 am
2. The key difference between you two is the fact you provide argumented opinion and I respect such behavior even though I disagree with those arguments.
So in other words what you're saying is that my argumented opinion doesn't count in your eyes.

Got it.

BrainGamer_
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BrainGamer_ »

Hares wrote:
This works because changing the title produces a clear message in that thread about the title changing from A to B. Without any sort of edit log or other way to flag the state of discussion threads on the portal I'd not want people changing titles.

Hares
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hares »

BrainGamer_ wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:28 pm
Hares wrote:
This works because changing the title produces a clear message in that thread about the title changing from A to B. Without any sort of edit log or other way to flag the state of discussion threads on the portal I'd not want people changing titles.
Fair point, didn't think about that.
What I see could be done is a small clickable badge near the title if it was edited. When clicked, it shows the old title(s).

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”