Any plans to bring back wooden boards?

Infinite Ores, Refining, Ore Processing ...

Moderator: Arch666Angel

jgb
Inserter
Inserter

Any plans to bring back wooden boards?

Post by jgb »

Does anyone else find wood generation trivially easy in 0.17? All you need is one oil patch, and you can make tons of raw wood from naphtha. This also unlocks the easy path to making solder in blue furnaces, rather than having to go down the old route of using blast furnaces to melt tin and lead ingots to make solder like you had to in 0.16.

Another thing this trivializes is blue science, since you can automate T2 circuits and blue science basically at the start.

I really feel like this change takes a lot of the challenge out of AB that made the mod so notorious. It's still fun dealing with byproducts, but the vast simplification of wood production in the early game takes one of the main challenges out of the mod.

Edit: An alternative that Oberhaul has done is just removed automated crafting of wood -> resin. This allows you to still hand craft resin, but requires you to research liquid resin to automate it. I feel this is a good compromise to bringing back wood planks.

Termak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Any plans to bring back wooden boards?

Post by Termak »

Afaik most new AB players still are afraid of petrochem and making huge bobgreenhousefarms (stop using it!).
I havent played for 2weeks or so since the petrolchange from vanilla so i dont know if there was any changes.
I love ability to make synth wood from naptha/heavy oil instead of gardening, angel treefarms and biostuff are nice alternative for people who like them though.
I mean the footprint of "bobstyle" solder setup is probably pretty large compared to angels metallurgy way, so many furnaces and resin assemblers, especially if you use bobgreenhouses which cause resin prices to increase 5times normal (good idea). Only minor issue with angel liquidresin is the need of midtier catalyst so early on but i always end up having tons of chopped wood (i love crawler and angelbots) so i can feed those to the resin factorys. It is kinda cheaty to make resin from synthwood, but you cant really block it without blocking the natural wood way.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Yeah, I don't get it... is Bob* afraid to steer too far away from vanilla ?
(See also the boiler inefficiency...)

*Unless I'm mistaken, this is pretty much a Bob issue first, and should therefore be posted in his forums instead of here...
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

jgb
Inserter
Inserter

Post by jgb »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:50 pm
Yeah, I don't get it... is Bob* afraid to steer too far away from vanilla ?
(See also the boiler inefficiency...)

*Unless I'm mistaken, this is pretty much a Bob issue first, and should therefore be posted in his forums instead of here...
I don't believe so. In plain Bob's you have to be able to automatically craft wood -> resin, whereas in Angels you can wait until you have access to the liquid resin recipe to automate it. So there's no way to fix this in Bob's unless he wants to bring back wood planks. I'll ask though, just in case.

jgb
Inserter
Inserter

Post by jgb »

Here is what Bob said:
To be honest, since you're talking about a change to a Bob + Angels only use case, I'd suggest you ask Angel to change the recipe to hand craft only... Everything else that changes from a Bob game to a Bob + Angels game is done by Angel.

Return to “Angels Mods”