Chemical inconsistency in recipes

Infinite Ores, Refining, Ore Processing ...

Moderator: Arch666Angel

DaleStan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Chemical inconsistency in recipes

Post by DaleStan »

Most chemical recipes follow the real-world versions pretty well, but I've found two recipes that do not have what I would consider the expected formulas.

The recipe for monochloramine is 5 sodium hypochlorite plus 250 ammonia yields 50 monochloramine. In the real world, the synthesis is NH₃ + NaOCl → NH₂Cl + NaOH. I spent a lot of sodium hydroxide making that sodium hypochlorite, and I would like to see the recipe changed to 5 sodium hypochlorite plus 250 ammonia yields 50 monochloramine plus 5 sodium hydroxide.

The recipe for dinitrogen tetroxide is 100 nitrogen monoxide yields 50 dinitrogen tetroxide. This is rather suspect, unless we assume that there's some not-otherwise-mentioned oxygen that accidentally gets into the reaction chamber. I would like to see the recipe changed to 100 nitrogen dioxide yields 50 dinitrogen tetroxide.

One change makes rocket fuel easier, the other makes it more difficult, so making both may not change the balance too badly.

Termak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Chemical inconsistency in recipes

Post by Termak »

You really dont want your NaOH back since atleast in .16 it was generated in perfect ratio with cholorine which you also needed for your rocket fuel. If you got extra NaOH leftover from making the rocket fuel you would literally drown into it.

DaleStan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DaleStan »

Huh. I'm not sure how I managed to miss that.

For realism reasons, I'm now also of the opinion that the chlorine should be returned. Chlorine goes into making monochloramine, but none of it ends up in either hydrazine or dimethylhydrazine. Realistically, this means it all should come back out (as HCl) from the hydrazine and dimethylhydrazine synthesis, but only about a sixth does. If the chlorine came back out too, NaOH and Cl₂ would be back in balance.
But that would make Rocket Fuel, while still hard to set up, immensely easier to maintain. I think I'm convincing myself that gameplay trumps realism in this case.

pezzawinkle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pezzawinkle »

if you want to get pedantic about things like that, just be thankful that the ferric chloride and sodium hypochloride recipes are not as nasty as their RL counterparts... I helped design a full blown chlor-alkali plant (produces, HCl, NaOH, NaOCl, Fe(III)Cl3 and H2 gas, along with impurities...) only feeds are water, salt (evaporated from the ocean), iron shavings, and sulfuic acid...
I can tell you that equilibrium reactions are ignored in angels, thanfully... otherwise our ferric chloride would contain about 30% salt water, and the process for NaOCl would mean bubbling chlorine gas through NaOH solution. The part that still freaks me out is HCl production IRL... pumping H2 and Cl2 gas into an open flame burner chamber with excess H2 and minimal oxygen, then flushed through a chilled bubble column, but the thing that blows my mind, is that the whole unit has to be made of graphite :O

Another thing i helped design was an ammonia processing plant, trust me, ill take angels recipe over the real thing
What you may NOT know... is that most of the reactions in that diagram are already within angels...so lets all be thankful :D

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

i few months back, i was complaining about too much ammonia being eaten by rocket fuel production, that your chemplant section for that alone is bigger then the rest of all the rocket parts factory combined

then i read the german wiki for Ammonia. that stuff alone is responsible for 2% of the earths total energy consumption :shock:

you dont want too much realismn :mrgreen:

Return to “Angels Mods”