How to adapt to the fuel changes?

Infinite Ores, Refining, Ore Processing ...

Moderator: Arch666Angel

Double up coal consumption, leave fuel values as they are
22%
Half fuel values and keep everything as it is
78%

Total votes: 54

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

So the fuel values have changed, because of the efficiency changes. There are two options now for petrochem:
Either I just double the coal consumption to create coke and leave the other recipes and fuel value as they are, basically introducing a compression in the process, or adjust fuel values to the new coal baseline and half all of them.

xfir01
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: How to adapt to the fuel changes?

Post by xfir01 »

stupid question: If you double the coal used for coke, will recipe for carbon be modified to account for the increased coal requirement? Been a while since I played, but iirc, there's a lot of production chains that rely on coke/carbon that have nothing to do with fuel values that would get hit by this.

brokenshakles
Inserter
Inserter

Post by brokenshakles »

I vote for the second option, having a compression in the first resource you use would be cumbersome, early game belt wise. Especially on marathon.

Either way, can we please see more recipes that use coke pellets? Seems to me that for at least the top level angels smelting, it should use coke pellets instead of the regular coke. I would be nice to also have a more efficient mid-level recipe that requires it. And a better carbon recipe that uses it too.

Termak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Termak »

Double the coal usage, imo coal is used way too little lategame and this would up the consumption and help getting sulfur from washing after moving out of coal power.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

Burning twice the amount of coal is preferable to requiring twice the amount for recipes. The burner phase may consume more coal, but it won't punish late game recipes and production where fuel values are irrelevant and quantity is more significant.

My vote is option two.

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

Light wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:29 am
Burning twice the amount of coal is preferable to requiring twice the amount for recipes. The burner phase may consume more coal, but it won't punish late game recipes and production where fuel values are irrelevant and quantity is more significant.

My vote is option two.
what he said

_Maybe_ a bit of both? Dont touch coal/coke/carbon recipe needs, but buff wood bricks?
I haven´t thought that through balance wise, after coming home from night shift ^^

pezzawinkle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pezzawinkle »

Light wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:29 am

My vote is option two.
100%... and yes it does cause questions regarding the "other fuels", so they also get a fuel value reduction to account for the efficiency change, or was that ignored in vanilla?.
If you go option 2, it may be wise to double the stack size to compensate for trains (or not, i rarely ran out of fuel that early).

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

GrumpyJoe wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:55 am
Dont touch coal/coke/carbon recipe needs, but buff wood bricks?
I haven´t thought that through balance wise, after coming home from night shift ^^
Honestly, I'd be down with that idea.

I used to use wood bricks in 0.14 to keep burners going, as it was a great wood sink when chopping down forests. The problem was that wood as a fuel source was less efficient than coke pellets because coal is very easy to obtain in large amounts compared to trees, even with greenhouses to try and upkeep the wood. Both processes were lengthy, but coke provided sulfur as a major incentive. This meant that coal was superior in quantity, fuel value, and byproducts.

Coal may burn hotter, but wood bricks should burn longer. It could most certainly use the buff.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

I have no idea what both options means, just do what you think is correct... :)

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

I have no idea what both options means, just do what you think is correct... :)

And if u like, add it as a option inside the config of your mod, so ppl who understand might change it.

Return to “Angels Mods”