Solder Coil smelting is OP (gives *2 result)

Infinite Ores, Refining, Ore Processing ...

Moderator: Arch666Angel

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Solder Coil smelting is OP (gives *2 result)

Post by DanGio »

Hi ! This is clearly a mistake :

40x Molten Solder gives 4 Solder (Solder Smelting 1)
40x Molten Solder gives 2 Solder Coil gives 8 Solder (Solder Smelting 2)

This must have been copy/pasted from "Copper cable coil" recipes : it worked then because 1 Copper plate gives 2 Copper Cable, so the ratio was OK. But "1 Solder gives 2 Solder" seems OP :)

Khaim
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Solder Coil smelting is OP (gives *2 result)

Post by Khaim »

The more advanced recipe should have a better yield. I think it's copper that's broken. Why bother casting copper coils when you get the same output by casting plates?

bill_a
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bill_a »

Khaim wrote:The more advanced recipe should have a better yield. I think it's copper that's broken. Why bother casting copper coils when you get the same output by casting plates?
That's not really true when considering production speed. A casting machine produces (base) 1 plate per second. A strand caster produces (base) 1 coil per second. Each coil produces 4 cable. So, production speed of going the coils route is 4x the default route.

The only real gripe i have with this, is that the copper->cable process can use productivity modules and the coil->copper cable can't.

But if you are worried about raw speed, the coil process effectively is 4x faster, thus requiring just a 1/4th of the pollution/energy that copper to cable requires. I'll take that as an improvement.

Khaim
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Khaim »

bill_a wrote:That's not really true when considering production speed. A casting machine produces (base) 1 plate per second. A strand caster produces (base) 1 coil per second. Each coil produces 4 cable. So, production speed of going the coils route is 4x the default route.
[...]
But if you are worried about raw speed, the coil process effectively is 4x faster, thus requiring just a 1/4th of the pollution/energy that copper to cable requires. I'll take that as an improvement.
Each plate gives you 2 cables, so it's only 2x faster, not 4x.

Also, why are we comparing to the base casting process? If you use the cast-to-sheet-metal recipe you get the same output rate as cast-to-coil. Yes, you need another step to get plates, but you need plates anyways! I don't see how making copper wire coils is worth the extra complexity in an already insanely complicated mod.

Solder and tinned wire coils give you a significant productivity boost. The mod has lots of places where you can add extra steps to a process and in return get better yield, so this seems perfectly fair.

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

I'm quite ok with the productivity boost, but 100% boost is huge ! For example, if you bother to build a complex coolant treatment setup, you'll get only 15% productivity boost (140 molten shit gives 16 shit plates).

Well, at least there's some inconsistency in those recipes.

Return to “Angels Mods”