Alganic Acid after recent update

Infinite Ores, Refining, Ore Processing ...

Moderator: Arch666Angel

Jools
Inserter
Inserter

Alganic Acid after recent update

Post by Jools »

Ive updated my mods yesterday and suddenly Alganic Acid aint give any energy (it was 25MJ before).
Has it been nerfed?
My whole energy system based on Alganci Acid. Now im totally screwed.

septemberWaves
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Alganic Acid after recent update

Post by septemberWaves »

It wasn't supposed to have an energy value to begin with. That was a bug fix, not a nerf. Check the bugs/FAQ thread and you'll find out things like that (actually that one might've been in the discussion thread, I'm not sure).

Jools
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Jools »

Well... That sucks for me! :mrgreen:

And whats good source for energy with bob's/angels's/marathon then?
Im trying replace Alganic with Carboon (6 MJ) (Coal>Coke>Carboon) with addition of Solid Fuel from excessed oils.

septemberWaves
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by septemberWaves »

I know nothing about the Marathon mod, but with Bob's mods and Angel's mods you have a few good options for late-game power (but keep in mind that I don't know if Marathon changes any of this):

1) Carbon-powered steam arrays with Mk4 boilers and Mk3 steam engines. The ratios are different for the higher tiers, and you can find the ratios for boilers to steam engines by dividing the steam engine power by the boiler power.

2) The aforementioned steam arrays powered with coke pellets instead of carbon. Carbon and coke pellets both provide 150% of the power of unprocessed coal. The main difference is that coke pellets provide more storable energy, as a single coke pellet is 5 times as energy-dense as a piece of carbon. So coke pellets are the way to go if you want a large buffer with minimal space, or if you need so much power production that your steam arrays consume fuel at a higher rate than can be provided with carbon on your highest tier of belt (unlikely but not impossible).

3) The aforementioned steam arrays powered by solid fuel. Solid fuel has good energy density (meaning it's good for buffering), and there are a lot of different ways to produce it using Angel's Petrochem out of various petrochemicals you might have in excess (fuel oil, for example).

4) The most expensive method (and most complicated to calculate for) is solar power. Bob's mods add several tiers of solar panels and accumulators. The solar panels come in 3 different sizes (2x2, 3x3, and 4x4) with the same power generation per tile. The accumulators are what makes it inconvenient to calculate (and also extremely expensive for high tier setups) because the basic accumulator does not have upgrades; only the specialized ones added by Bob's mods have higher tiers. I think the best way to use solar power would be to use the panels in conjunction with high-capacity accumulators, but I have yet to figure out a perfect ratio layout or even the perfect ratio itself.

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

from the wiki: you need 1,428 MW solar + 125MJ Akku /MW constant usage. I would go to overbuilding about 20% at the start, more if you use lasers.
that means 48 regular sized solar to 25 hicap akkus of equal tier,
~27 big sized solar to 25 hicap akkus of equal tier,
or ~107 small sized solar to 25 hicap akkus of equal tier,

The Draf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by The Draf »

You can get "free" energy by converting wood->wood pellets(12MW). Wood you get from the greenhouse which consumes water(free) and electricity. You can increase the yield of the greenhouses by adding fertilizer which you create from carbon dioxide(created from coal) and sulfur waste water both of which are abundant. If you use the wood burner mod you can create coal from wood which means free carbon dioxide.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

During a marathon playthrough of my own, I would use coke pellets by refining it in one of the most efficient ways possible.
Fuel
This provided the most fuel while giving a bountiful supply of sulfur in the early to mid game, which was essential.

When nuclear and solar were available and the boiler setup became an emergency backup, the switch was made to wood bricks to allow the coal to be better used where it was needed most. As such, this hasn't failed me yet in terms of getting the most out of boiler setups. You can even use wood bricks if you're not hurting for sulfur in the mid-game and it works just as well, but you really want to milk your coal deposits for as much sulfur as possible since you're really going to need it early on.

Tisaku
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tisaku »

Light wrote:During a marathon playthrough of my own, I would use coke pellets by refining it in one of the most efficient ways possible.
Fuel
This provided the most fuel while giving a bountiful supply of sulfur in the early to mid game, which was essential.

When nuclear and solar were available and the boiler setup became an emergency backup, the switch was made to wood bricks to allow the coal to be better used where it was needed most. As such, this hasn't failed me yet in terms of getting the most out of boiler setups. You can even use wood bricks if you're not hurting for sulfur in the mid-game and it works just as well, but you really want to milk your coal deposits for as much sulfur as possible since you're really going to need it early on.
The Bergius process is actually a bit more efficient in terms of output. Four coal for five coke. It also produces for plastic and lubricant. It does require a lot more infrastructure though.

Return to “Angels Mods”