Angel's Smelting Bob's Mods Ratios [Updated for 2.3]

Infinite Ores, Refining, Ore Processing ...

Moderator: Arch666Angel

Jaclyn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Angel's Smelting Bob's Mods Ratios [Updated for 2.3]

Post by Jaclyn »

Link to charts in second post.

I updated my sheet for version 2.3. I no longer use rounding as I did in the initial version. All math is handled by the sheet itself, so if there are any errors, it is most likely just wrong references or something. If you see any errors, leave a comment on the sheet and I will fix it. I might go back and update the silicon and nickel charts as they are not using the most complicated and efficient method of smelting, so do not be super surprised if that happens.
Last edited by Jaclyn on Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jaclyn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Angel's Smelting Optimum Ratios with Bob's Mods

Post by Jaclyn »

Because of how much of a nightmare it would be to try and post a bunch of charts here, I have compiled them all into one handy dandy spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing I also would have put that in my first post, but the forum yelled at me.

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

so you worked out what I already did hier and the tables in my signature.

Jaclyn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Jaclyn »

ukezi wrote:so you worked out what I already did hier and the tables in my signature.
I suppose except I did it for every combination of belt color and machine. Honestly I did this mostly for my own benefit and only posted it here because I thought others may be able to use the information.

septemberWaves
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by septemberWaves »

Jaclyn wrote:Honestly I did this mostly for my own benefit and only posted it here because I thought others may be able to use the information.
You're definitely right about that. It's proving to be very useful for mid-early-game ore processing as I'm trying to set up my third temporary main bus. I currently only have the full process available for iron and copper, but your chart is still very helpful for figuring out the ratio I need to fill a red belt of each of those with the Mk1 machines.

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jackalope_Gaming »

Something I've noticed with Angel's is it's not worth it to use the metallurgy buildings for steel, at least in the .1 versions. The .2 versions I haven't gone through yet so I can't comment on them.

6 iron ingots and 6 oxygen gas get turns into 3 steel ingots, then 2 steel ingots get turns into 2 molten steel, and 2 molten steel gets turned into 2 steel plate. It's the exact same 2 iron to 1 steel ratio as in baseline Bob's mods. At that point, why not just toss the iron in a furnace and directly smelt it into steel without using any oxygen or all that extra space? The further benefit of using regular furnaces is they accept productivity modules, which the metallurgy process can't do at all.

Assuming T1 casting machines then it's basically 3 casting machines making iron to 2 steel / electric furnaces making steel. If there was some productivity bonus between making the steel ingots and the final product of steel plates then the metallurgy stuff might be considered worthwhile from a gameplay perspective since the extra space needed is the tradeoff for more production.

septemberWaves
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by septemberWaves »

Jackalope wrote:6 iron ingots and 6 oxygen gas get turns into 3 steel ingots, then 2 steel ingots get turns into 2 molten steel, and 2 molten steel gets turned into 2 steel plate. It's the exact same 2 iron to 1 steel ratio as in baseline Bob's mods. At that point, why not just toss the iron in a furnace and directly smelt it into steel without using any oxygen or all that extra space? The further benefit of using regular furnaces is they accept productivity modules, which the metallurgy process can't do at all.
It's worth using metallurgy for steel if you don't have the 2:1 ratio provided by Bob's mods. With that change disabled (so you have the normal 5:1 ratio), using angelic metallurgy to produce steel is a significant improvement.

And even with the modified iron:steel ratio from Bob's mods, it's still worth using the full smelting process for iron before using furnaces to turn iron plates into steel, because that way you get a 200:187 ratio of iron ore to steel (93.5% of your iron ore input becomes steel plate output).

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jackalope_Gaming »

eloquentJane wrote:
Jackalope wrote:6 iron ingots and 6 oxygen gas get turns into 3 steel ingots, then 2 steel ingots get turns into 2 molten steel, and 2 molten steel gets turned into 2 steel plate. It's the exact same 2 iron to 1 steel ratio as in baseline Bob's mods. At that point, why not just toss the iron in a furnace and directly smelt it into steel without using any oxygen or all that extra space? The further benefit of using regular furnaces is they accept productivity modules, which the metallurgy process can't do at all.
It's worth using metallurgy for steel if you don't have the 2:1 ratio provided by Bob's mods. With that change disabled (so you have the normal 5:1 ratio), using angelic metallurgy to produce steel is a significant improvement.

And even with the modified iron:steel ratio from Bob's mods, it's still worth using the full smelting process for iron before using furnaces to turn iron plates into steel, because that way you get a 200:187 ratio of iron ore to steel (93.5% of your iron ore input becomes steel plate output).
True, it is a significant improvement if you're using the 5 to 1.

And I don't believe I said or implied that Angel's iron processing wasn't worth it. It certainly is, but it's just if you're at the 2:1 ratio in Bob's then it's better to process the iron fully into plates and then stick the iron plates into regular furnaces to make steel.

Jaclyn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Jaclyn »

I don't think I mentioned it, but I recently redid the calculations for my charts because someone said I was off on some of them. If anyone sees any errors, post a comment on the sheet or something and I'll get it fixed. I've been thinking of doing a sheet for all of the angel's refining chains revolving around filling x-tier of belt with the end product ore similar to how I did this one.

Jaclyn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Jaclyn »

So, I am currently updating the sheet for version 2.3. Once it is done, I will probably post another post here, and then rename this thread to indicate that it is updated for version 2.3.

Jaclyn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Angel's Smelting Bob's Mods Ratios [Updated for 2.3]

Post by Jaclyn »

Oh, updates are done, by the way.

Frost
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Frost »

Jaclyn wrote:Link to charts in second post.

I updated my sheet for version 2.3. I no longer use rounding as I did in the initial version. All math is handled by the sheet itself, so if there are any errors, it is most likely just wrong references or something. If you see any errors, leave a comment on the sheet and I will fix it. I might go back and update the silicon and nickel charts as they are not using the most complicated and efficient method of smelting, so do not be super surprised if that happens.
New to this. What am I looking at?

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

you look at the number of machines needed of a type to fill a belt of a specific color.
@Jaclyn your numbers for silicon are off

ramblurr
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ramblurr »

Does it work if you don't use every processing step?

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

those number are for the maximum variant.

ramblurr
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ramblurr »

I'd like to find the optimum ratios for each various stage (sort only, hydro + sort, hydro + chem etc). Do you know if those are published anywhere?

edit: nevermind, I realized this post is for the smelting chain, not the refining chain.

Return to “Angels Mods”