Development and Discussion

Infinite Ores, Refining, Ore Processing ...

Moderator: Arch666Angel

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Development and Discussion

Post by BlakeMW »

Petrochem looks awesome.

Issue report with refining mod:

Coal Filtering vs Ceramic Filter
  • The Coal Filtering recharge consumes 0.2 coal per filter.
  • The Ceramic Filter "recharge" on average loses 0.2 of a ceramic filter (each of which costs 1 alumina, 1 steel and 1 iron plate), or in other words 0.2 Alumina and 1.2 Iron per filter.
Each filter cycle creates enough mineral sludge to crystalize 0.8 metals, the ceramic filter is not really a good deal even on it's own terms - when compared with coal filtering it's at least 10x more expensive in terms of sunk energy cost per filter cycle.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

BlakeMW wrote:Petrochem looks awesome.

Issue report with refining mod:

Coal Filtering vs Ceramic Filter
  • The Coal Filtering recharge consumes 0.2 coal per filter.
  • The Ceramic Filter "recharge" on average loses 0.2 of a ceramic filter (each of which costs 1 alumina, 1 steel and 1 iron plate), or in other words 0.2 Alumina and 1.2 Iron per filter.
Each filter cycle creates enough mineral sludge to crystalize 0.8 metals, the ceramic filter is not really a good deal even on it's own terms - when compared with coal filtering it's at least 10x more expensive in terms of sunk energy cost per filter cycle.
Ah yes thanks for reminding me, thats an issue which was pointed out earlier. There are two solutions: Either have it that the filter material and the frame are separated and only the filter material gets destroyed on a chance, or make the filter indestructable and have it run through a cleaning cycle after use.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Also the crystal slurry ceramic filtering is slightly broken since it returns 1 crystal seedling out of 5 slurry.

As for aluminium filters - I'm not convinced to start using them. Also 0.8 ceramic filter in recipe is a probability AFAIK so you can lose the frame in the pocess (at least thats how it works on slurry to ores from short observation).

Would you be willing to add different ore combination to create gem seeds?

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

orzelek wrote:Also the crystal slurry ceramic filtering is slightly broken since it returns 1 crystal seedling out of 5 slurry.

As for aluminium filters - I'm not convinced to start using them. Also 0.8 ceramic filter in recipe is a probability AFAIK so you can lose the frame in the pocess (at least thats how it works on slurry to ores from short observation).

Would you be willing to add different ore combination to create gem seeds?
Good catch, missed that one, I increased the amounts for fluids everywhere so the pipes don't look so empty. I will change the ceramics to be indestructible, you need to clean/wash them out after use, ceramics filtering recipe will be faster, but clean a smaller amount so you need more filters per filtration unit. So the cost to setup and the throughput is higher, but the cost to keep it running is down to the energy cost for cleaning the filters (maybe adding an override to petrochems to require the recipe a basic chemical).

Such as? Which ore combination do you have in mind?

cellular
Inserter
Inserter

Post by cellular »

BlakeMW wrote:
orzelek wrote:And it needs resin - so you'd need to pipe some heavy oil there still to make resin out of it then use it to make synthetic wood. Might be worth playing around with it in very low oil circumstances.
It seems to be intended as a way to "stretch" heavy oil but I don't really get it. You can turn 3 heavy oil directly into 6 synthetic wood, or you can turn 3 heavy oil into 3 resin, and add 15 cellulose fiber to get 5 synthetic wood? Seems like it should be at least 10 or 12 to justify the added complexity.
I asked this earlier, and I think the response was that the usual oil-based synthetic wood recipe is going away in petrochem. :twisted:

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I havent tought about the other ore combination for gems - maybe the other three then current one?

Also I have some issues with current fissure color on map. While it matches the thermal water color it seems to be easily missed with biters and/or desert around it.
Maybe give it a bit more blue hue to make it more distinct?

PS. Is it me or jivolite has same icon as aluminium ore?

Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ratzap »

I've started a game using this set (along with bobs) for the first time. If the intention was to make metals much harder to produce quickly then it succeeded. Like most people I'm used to wacking down a bunch of miners, throwing it into 20 furnaces and that's good for a start. I can just about feed 4 furnaces with a chain of 4 crusher mk2, 8 flotation, 4 sorter mk2 and get about 400 iron a minute out of it. The space and power requirements just to do that are pretty massive as well. That's just one ore type, there are 4 more nearby to go and I'm thinking there may not even be space for it without a bit of a rebuild.

Is this about right or am I doing something wrong/missing a step?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Seems about right.
I would rethink floatation on everything maybe - it's good for getting more advanced ores but it nets less of the base ore. So for mass production of iron or copper only crushing and then sorting is more viable.

I've attached my current smelting area - it has 4 full processing chains to get advanced stuff and 2 sets of crushing/sorting to get a lot of copper and iron ore.
And most likely one more crushing/sorting set for lead would be needed - my lead is supplemented heavily by slurry processing.

It became a bit better with lead supply when I started using productivity 4 in a lot of my stuff - that took some time tho (using science cost tweaker so stuff costs a lot of science).
I could limit the iron and copper separate stuff a bit but since I'm using compression chests for storage along with warehouse/storehouses I can't read how much ores I have stored automatically so didn't try to add limiters yet. You need a lot of storage with this mod set and warehouses/storehouses can be a bad CPU hit so I'm using compression chest to "hide" most of material and use store/warehouse mainly for their area.
Attachments
SortingArea.png
SortingArea.png (4.15 MiB) Viewed 5930 times

Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ratzap »

I was contemplating that since I found some big extra ore patches for common blue things. I have warehouses (one of my must have mods) but I've never used compression chests (feels too cheaty IMO). I've never had a slow down or noticed the CPU high but I'll keep an eye on it.

Edit: One thing I noticed is the biochem part seems a bit pointless early on. Making synthetic wood requires resin from real wood so why bother? Just make boards from the real wood right?

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

It has been a while, anything on petrochem?
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

kinnom wrote:It has been a while, anything on petrochem?
Did some things yesterday:
-Added another earlier plastic chain: Naphtha + water -> syngas, syngas + carbon dioxide -> methanol + water , methanol + water -> propene
There are now multiple ways to produce methanol and there will be a way to do methanol from biomass in the bioprocessing.
-Added residual gas to some of the recipes (cracking) as kind of leftover from the process. Residual can be converted back to syngas and go into the process chains again.
-Made the converter recipes configurable to be shown/hidden

Without converter recipes
1_1.png
1_1.png (274.27 KiB) Viewed 6067 times
With converter recipes
1_2.png
1_2.png (399.2 KiB) Viewed 6067 times
BTW: More tanks?

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

Arch666Angel wrote: BTW: More tanks?
Maybe a small tank for the circuit network

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

New bottles on the screen?
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

safan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by safan »

kinnom wrote:
i'd rather have that valve to be circuit connectable. Don't know if it's bob's or yours

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

safan wrote:
kinnom wrote:
i'd rather have that valve to be circuit connectable. Don't know if it's bob's or yours
both have / will have valves
Last edited by kinnom on Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

safan wrote:
kinnom wrote:
The valves are tank entities, they are the same as in GotLags FlowControl, thats because I asked him to have permission to integrate parts of his mod into petrochem with matching graphics. -> Tank entities means they are circuit connectable, the check valve does nothing else than provide a circuit connection (has to be tested if it hinders flow), the non return only allows flow in one direction, the overflow only activates if fluidlevel on the input side is above 80% and the converter valve turns fluids from my mod to matching fluids of other mods/base game.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Fluid Splitter

StormTAG
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by StormTAG »

Pls giev pterocehm!!!!111one