[posila] Performance Issues [0.17.2]

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
bobby45800
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[posila] Performance Issues [0.17.2]

Post by bobby45800 »

Hi,

As requested by Twinsen here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3638 I can post a performance issue as a bug report, because my PC is high-end and very much exceeds what is needed from system requirements (as you can see in log file). Windows.

Every 20 seconds or so, the game freezes for about 5 seconds, before going back to normal. This happens in several saves I have tried. This does not happen in any other game, or on my computer in general. GPU/CPU/RAM usage never at 100%. I have attached the screenshot whilst at 60UPS/FPS, and the screenshot just after the game has stopped freezing (where the UPS/FPS is lower). This was not an issue in previous major versions (so pre 0.17) but once 0.17 hit this has been an issue. Vanilla. The problem is still apparent when in the main menu screen as well.

Something I have noticed though is that when I have more stuff running on my PC in general, the length of "freeze" time increases and becomes more frequent, and the UPS/FPS that is displayed right after the "freeze" is much lower than when there is less stuff running. Another thing I have noticed is that the problem does not happen at all when the game is still running on my main monitor, but I have clicked onto another tab (like chrome on my second monitor).

Because I think that this will be a difficult problem to reproduce, I have downloaded the ETW trace tool and have ran it whilst playing Factorio. If a developer needs it, ask me to DM them the file, because it contains sensitive information.

Thanks,
Bobby
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(5.11 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
Right after game freeze
Right after game freeze
2019-02-27 (3).png (4.05 MiB) Viewed 4142 times
During "safe" time
During "safe" time
2019-02-27 (4).png (4.49 MiB) Viewed 4142 times
Wave Defense 1.zip
Save game, but problem consistent on other saves
(7.46 MiB) Downloaded 129 times
Last edited by bobby45800 on Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The nice thing about Windows is, it doesn’t just crash, it displays a dialog box and lets you press “OK” first :)

chunibuni
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Performance Issues [0.17.2]

Post by chunibuni »

The problem is even worse on OSX systems. I have talked to many mac users (including myself) and we now see an average of 30 FPS consistent, and when it freezes it goes down to 10-20 FPS. This needs to be fixed.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Performance Issues [0.17.2]

Post by posila »

Thanks for the log and screenshots.

Can you please enable show-gpu-time-usage instead of show-time-usage?

It shouldn't be this bad on your PC on any settings, but can you try to reset graphics settings to default and see if the issue persists after game restart?

bobby45800
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [posila] Performance Issues [0.17.2]

Post by bobby45800 »

Hi posila,

More updates on this very specific issue. Usually restarting my PC does not fix the issue, and after the game freezing and crashing my entire PC (in combination with another bug that stopped me from being able to push buttons viewtopic.php?f=7&t=65623), I did a full system shutdown and start up, and now the issue has gone away (well, it isn't bad right now, currently it drops to 57UPS every half a minute or so). However, I did notice that the longer I played, the more frequent the issue became so I will reply here again when the issue reoccurs, with the things you asked for.

I had also set graphics to default when attempting to fix the issue myself, but there was no effect.

Thanks,
Bobby
The nice thing about Windows is, it doesn’t just crash, it displays a dialog box and lets you press “OK” first :)

Attal
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Attal »

Wow! 57 fps is great!

Please have a look FPS on Mac (MBP mid15, i7, 16gb, but integrated video) - it was enough for 4rpm megabase 0.16

new small map, 0.17.2 vanilla
https://streamable.com/s/4eo7f/jkelfv
on 6-7th second i've hovered on the copper patch (~10 pieces), tooltip was shown on 15-30th second

+ when the game is running (map opened) menu buttons highlight works with a big lag, also scrolling in browser work with huge lags
+ when the game is running (main menu opened) everything renders gently (menu buttons highlight and browser)
+ on video avg fps is 14, without recording is near 20
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(7.78 KiB) Downloaded 141 times

bobby45800
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bobby45800 »

Hi Attal,

There are already multiple bug reports about this issue on the Mac, but this thread is a report on a Windows PC. Current the Mac developer isn't around so Mac users will have to stay put until they make an announcement or similar about it (this is what I've heard from the admins on the discord).

Thanks,
Bobby

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

@Attal, can you reset graphics settings and restart the game? I think the game should run much better with default setting than what you have now. I don't know if you current settings got carried over from 0.16 or if it is resul of your attempt to fix performance problems.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Some other player experience similar performance issues and disabling "Wait for v-sync" in the graphics settings fixes it for them.

jevon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jevon »

I had a similar problem to this a long time ago and it turned out to be faulty hardware (in my case, my SSD device driver was not playing nicely). Is there anything in Event Viewer that could suggest something strange going on in hardware land?

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

There were many small tweaks and changes since this was reported. Do you still have issues in 0.17.52?

bobby45800
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bobby45800 »

Hi posila,

No, thanks.
Bobby

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”