[StrangePan][1.1.87] VSync not applied

litty
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[StrangePan][1.1.87] VSync not applied

Post by litty »

Between 1.1.80 and 1.1.81, something has changed about the VSync setting! It looks like it's not being applied as intended on my intel macbook in 1.1.81.

As early as 1.1.81, and as recent as 1.1.87, I am seeing screen tearing at the top of the screen that is reminiscent of VSync not being enabled. It is most apparent when the character/map is moving around. The screen tearing is not any better or worse when VSync is enabled or disabled.

In 1.1.80, I am not seeing any screen tearing when VSync is enabled. When disabled, I see the exact same screen tearing I see in 1.1.81.

I'm loading the same map in all versions, and running around the same part of the map briefly. Attached are logs and screenshots for 1.1.80 and 1.1.81, as well as the save file being loaded in both versions.

I tried to capture a video of the tearing, but the screen tearing magically disappears when I'm recording with macOS's built-in screen recorder. I can take a video with my phone if that would be helpful... :)

Maybe related to the SDL upgrade?
Attachments
First-Backup.zip
(12.43 MiB) Downloaded 58 times
1.1.80.log
(5.16 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
1.1.81.log
(4.85 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
1.1.80.png
1.1.80.png (16.98 MiB) Viewed 1710 times
1.1.81.png
1.1.81.png (14.46 MiB) Viewed 1710 times

Vel
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [1.1.87] VSync not applied

Post by Vel »

I've got the same issue. It really looks like VSync is not applied. It worked a week ago or so. Seems to be caused by the new version.
Toggling VSync on or off does not change anything. Anything else I can try?
Is there an easy way to downgrade factorio with Steam?

litty
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by litty »

Vel wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:24 pm
Is there an easy way to downgrade factorio with Steam?
Very easily :)

Right click Factorio in your left-land library list, click properties, click betas, then select the version you want.

1.1.80 is the latest version where vsync works for me.

StrangePan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by StrangePan »

Hello litty,

Thank you for the information you've provided so far. We did update SDL in 1.1.81, and SDL indeed changed how it implemented vsync. However, I'm still having difficulty reproducing this issue. Could you provide a little bit more information?

1. Since you are unable to record the tearing using a screen recorder, do you think you could capture the screen tearing with an external camera, such as a smart phone? This will help me better understand exactly what you're seeing and when you see it.

2. Are you able to upgrade your OS version? Sometimes that can solve these graphical problems. Either way, I am going to attempt to downgrade one of our machines and try to reproduce the issue that way.

litty
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by litty »

Thanks for the response, most certainly:

1. Attached is a zip with two recordings from an external device, one from 1.1.80 and one from 1.1.81.

2. I probably ought to anyway :)

Can my machine be of service for debugging? I can hold off on upgrading if you want to run any tests with it, etc.
Attachments
vsync-vids.zip
(56.23 MiB) Downloaded 57 times

StrangePan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by StrangePan »

Thanks for the videos! This definitely look like some form of screen tearing.

Regarding upgrading your own machine, feel free to do as you see fit. It would be interesting for me to learn whether or not an OS upgrade fixes the problem. Otherwise, it may be a few weeks before you'd be able to verify any sort of fix we find.

rikisa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by rikisa »

I experience the very same Issue on linux (Manjaro Xfce, Linux 6.5, proprietary nvidia driver) as well. The tearing appeared in previous versions, but could be fixed with "Force full Composition Pipeline" option. But this does not fix the issue anymore.

Can provide full specs and logs if needed.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Did anything ever develop with this?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

yanik557
Inserter
Inserter

Post by yanik557 »

It still seems to be the case as its happening on my end.

And it seems to be a game issue, rather than a VSync issue, i've forgotten that screen tearing was a problem ever since upgraded my gear.

Especially since in my case, i've been able to capture it on a screenshot, so my screen perfectly displays a frame that the game teared itself.

Return to “Assigned”