Can Logistic/Construction Robots Be Delivered From an Inventory to a Chest Requesting Them?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
opalAcrolith
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Can Logistic/Construction Robots Be Delivered From an Inventory to a Chest Requesting Them?

Post by opalAcrolith »

Hey, folks. First time poster here. I apologize if this has been asked before. I did some digging around, but I was unable to turn anything up, so I'm posting here as a last resort.

So, I have a fairly large base, and it takes me a while to get from one end of it to the other even by train. I thought I might be able to save a lot of time if I were to build things remotely, so I set a Spidertron down at one end of my base, hooked it up to a remote, and gave it a Roboport plus all the necessary accoutrements. The plan was to have the Spidertron lay down new track and a temporary train stop so that a train could deliver whatever items I want to that location without my player character having to physically be there.

So far, this has all worked out rather well (if taking a little getting used to), but I've now run into a snag. At the edge of my base I've placed some new roboports, and I need to put robots into them. I've delivered robots to that location via train, unloaded them into a chest with an inserter, and deconstructed said chest to put the items into the Spidertron's inventory. Now that the robots are in the Spidertron's inventory though, I can't find a way to actually remove them. If I put a requester chest down, logistic robots won't deliver themselves or other robots to that chest despite my requests. Granted, I can see why this is the case; it would be rather annoying if I were to run by some chest requesting robots and have all the robots in my inventory forcibly eject themselves to satisfy the request. But in my current situation, I'm not sure what I can do to remove the items from the Spidertron's inventory aside from physically pulling them out myself. I can't place ghosts for robots. Everything I've tried has failed.

Currently, I'm using a workaround by delivering the raw ingredients to the site and having a chest requesting those ingredients insert them into an assembling machine that inserts the completed robots directly into the roboports. As for the robots currently stranded in the Spidertron's inventory, I have no idea what else can be done. Am I going to have to bite the bullet and travel out to the Spidertron to remove the robots myself?

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Can Logistic/Construction Robots Be Delivered From an Inventory to a Chest Requesting Them?

Post by eradicator »

Some random ideas:

1) Manipulate the spider logistic requests to push the robots into the trash slots. Requires an active logistic network nearby to take them out.
2) Use a custom-made blueprint string that builds an item-request-proxy that forces the spider's conbots to deliver the stuff. Requires knowledge of how to make custom blueprint strings as there is no in-game method for that.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Can Logistic/Construction Robots Be Delivered From an Inventory to a Chest Requesting Them?

Post by astroshak »

To answer the titular question, not directly, no. You have to set them to the trash spots for logibots to come and remove them to storage. From there they will be taken (again, by logibot) to the chest requesting them.

Khagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khagan »

opalAcrolith wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:59 am
At the edge of my base I've placed some new roboports, and I need to put robots into them. I've delivered robots to that location via train, unloaded them into a chest with an inserter, and deconstructed said chest to put the items into the Spidertron's inventory.
I'd just have a roboport close enough to the train that an inserter (filtered if needed) can load them either directly from the train or via an unloading chest.

Return to “Gameplay Help”