Blueprint flipping not working at all

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
RoadRunner71
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Blueprint flipping not working at all

Post by RoadRunner71 »

I cannot get ANY blueprints to flip, no matter how simple they are. It won't even flip a blueprint that's just one line of belt. I created that as the simplest test case I could imagine. I've tried flipping numerous of my blueprints and it has never worked for me. And I'm using the default F and G keys. Why doesn't this work? I'm using the absolute vanilla game V1.1.25 with no mods at all. Why isn't this working? And I have not remapped any of my keys. Like I said, it's 100% vanilla game.

I've been playing this game for a long time (over 4k hours just in Steam and probably1000 plus hours before Steam). So, I'm not a newb. I tried this when it was introduced to the game. And it didn't work for me then, either. Has anyone ever gotten it to work? If so, what am I doing wrong? IS there something else you have to do first? Some other key? Click a mouse button? I find this very aggravating that it has never worked for me.

I've tried searching the forums for anyone reporting a bug with it. But there are so many posts with the words "blueprint" and "flip" in it that I gave up after looking through them for several hours.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Blueprint flipping not working at all

Post by Loewchen »

No one else seems to have that issue, so I'd start by checking if different keybindings or a fresh .zip install works.

cbhj1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by cbhj1 »

I'd start by checking the control bindings. Next, get a blueprint in hand ready to place, note: flipping only works in hand from what I've seen, copying a belt bend is good as it covers both flip axes. Fluid prints may not flip due to their fixed inputs/outputs.

RoadRunner71
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RoadRunner71 »

I deleted the game then deleted the game directory and did a clean install. The only "mod" installed is "base.mod" which comes with the game. After that I did Steam thing to verify the game files. They came back clean.

So, I started a new game completely vanilla except for no biters (just don't like them) and I turned on the research queue at game start. I did check the key bindings. Nothing else uses F and G. The key bindings are completely vanilla with no changes. I've never felt a need to change any of them.

I started a new game. I have not opened the console at all. I have researched automation 1 and logistics 1 (to get the splitters and underground belts).

I created a small blueprint using yellow belts, and a couple of splitters and a couple of underground belts in different orientations. Pulled up the blueprint, tried the F and G keys and nothing happens. Nothing. I'm disgusted with this at this point. I have no idea why it's not working. But it will not work, no matter how simple the blueprint (even with nothing but belts in it). I'm right clicking on the blueprint to open it then just pressing the F and G keys to test this.

Again, I'm using no mods except "base" mod. I've pretty much resigned myself to just forgetting about using that feature since I can't get it to work. My grand-daughter who also plays this game has also tried it and it doesn't work for her, either. I have no idea what we could be doing wrong. We don't try that with the blueprint still in our inventory. It's in our hand since we're want to place it after flipping it. It's probably something REALLY stupid. But, I have no idea what it could be. Maybe I'm just not holding my mouth right or something.

Thanks for the replies and the help.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

RoadRunner71 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:58 am
I'm right clicking on the blueprint to open it then just pressing the F and G keys to test this.
:?

ichVII
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ichVII »

Thats not how it works. You have to press f or g while you are holding it in your cursor and are about to place it. This is how the feature works.

RoadRunner71
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RoadRunner71 »

So, it works if you're PLACING it but NOT if you're EDITING it? I'm really trying to resist throwing my PC through the wall...

And, you're right it DOES work that way. I am EXTREMELY angry that I couldn't find ANY reference to how this is supposed to actually WORK or how to USE it. I REALLY miss the days when games actually had manuals.

Thanks for the help. This makes me feel REALLY stupid. Sometimes other people's thought processes are a complete mystery to me.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

RoadRunner71 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:06 am
So, it works if you're PLACING it but NOT if you're EDITING it? I'm really trying to resist throwing my PC through the wall...

And, you're right it DOES work that way. I am EXTREMELY angry that I couldn't find ANY reference to how this is supposed to actually WORK or how to USE it. I REALLY miss the days when games actually had manuals.

Thanks for the help. This makes me feel REALLY stupid. Sometimes other people's thought processes are a complete mystery to me.
don't feel stupid, the blueprint system is actually not too intuitive at first. it has a steep learning curve, in that it takes a lot to get over the initial hurdle but then you pretty much understand it.

there's some mods that change how blueprints work, like 'persistent blueprints'. but, glad you figured it out.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

RoadRunner71 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:06 am

I understand. The continuous lockdowns have everyone on edge. I think psychologically speaking, most people are not in their right minds at the moment.

Return to “Gameplay Help”