Nuclear Reactor Bug or clueless player?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
ChargedShrapnel
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Nuclear Reactor Bug or clueless player?

Post by ChargedShrapnel »

First... these are not my design. I had several identical compact 480MW nuclear reactor setups and my friend came in and deleted a few thinking they were not needed. Now the few I have remaining are not working properly. They seem to be stuck around 605 deg. (Located next to nuclear processing by the old bus) The other reactor in the middle is still working properly (1000 deg.)
I tried deconstructing the reactors and heat pipe assembly and re-blueprinting, but the reactors just heat back up to around 605 and seem to stop.
Can someone tell me if I'm missing something?
I will attach the save.
Thank you so much. :-)

UPDATE - Oh no... I seem to be getting an error uploading the save file (181.5 MB) is there an alternative location to share? Guess I'll share the error instead.
Attachments
2021-02-25.png
2021-02-25.png (109.21 KiB) Viewed 1629 times

ChargedShrapnel
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Nuclear Reactor Bug or clueless player?

Post by ChargedShrapnel »

Okay, I tried my other browser to upload the file but maybe there is a limit.

Here is a link for the save on my OneDrive (Microsoft). I hope that is allowed.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoVqflx6OtyKkCvX6nN ... K?e=aPwDhK

Thanks again!

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

If a reactor is hitting 1000C that means it is wasting fuel, not that it's working properly. That's the maximum temperature for the reactor, so once it heats up that much any fuel it's still using is doing nothing.

Heat exchangers need to be above 500C to work. As long as all of the heat exchangers are getting to 500 the reactor is working correctly; if the heat exchangers are running at high load (i.e. if the power is needed) then they will not keep getting hotter because they're consuming the heat to make steam.

It sounds like you had more production capacity than you needed and so your reactors were just heating up higher and higher because the heat wasn't being consumed. Now you have fewer they're actually running at higher load and settling at a stable temperature.

If one of them is still hitting 1000C that suggests it might not be set up right; power is drawn from all turbines on the same electric grid evenly, so if they're all on one grid they should be running at the same rate. Are they different designs or just multiple copies of the same reactor?

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

A screenshot of your plant with a screen of the power chart would be easier. I am not going to download 180M :D

Anyway, here is the plant which actually works.
viewtopic.php?f=208&t=96233
The perfect cloverleaf plant. Produce only as much as needed, no waste, no overheat, cheap to build.

Return to “Gameplay Help”