Map Generation > Advanced > Expensive Technology

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Map Generation > Advanced > Expensive Technology

Post by invisus »

I was attempting to play around with game progression with "vanilla" recipes, but I was hoping to greatly increase the cost of research...

In the Advanced tab of Map Generator I'm seeing Difficulty and Price multiplier as options for Technology.

I only did some spot testing but it seems these options... don't really have an impact. This appears to have been asked about previously:

I've done some forum, wiki, and web searches. Am I missing something obvious?

I'm open to mods (maybe I should test again with none enabled), but the mods I found seemed to change a whole lot more than the price of producing a single science pack.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Map Generation > Advanced > Expensive Technology

Post by jodokus31 »

- price multiplier increases the amount of science packs needed for each research. f.e. try 4 or 10
- expensive recipes make some recipes more expensive, which actually has a big impact, f.e. iron gear (needs 4 instead of 2 plates), electronic circuits, steel, and much more ...

Or try marathon settings, those use price multiplier 4 and expensive recipes.

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by invisus »

jodokus31 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:37 pm
- price multiplier increases the amount of science packs needed for each research. f.e. try 4 or 10
- expensive recipes make some recipes more expensive, which actually has a big impact, f.e. iron gear (needs 4 instead of 2 plates), electronic circuits, steel, and much more ...

Or try marathon settings, those use price multiplier 4 and expensive recipes.
Right... I seem to be able to set expensive mode for recipes and that works.

But as I tried to explain, the "Expensive" mode for Technologies, and the Price Multiplier don't seem to DO anything. I have assumptions of what they're supposed to do... but when I set a price multiplier of 10x or flip to "expensive," nothing changes with regard to the price or time it takes for technologies.

I just tried this with vanilla 1.1.1 and 1.1.6.

These options don't seem to have any effect, unless again, I'm missing something obvious.

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

Expensive mode for technologies works pretty much the same as expensive recipes do. You can define a normal and expensive mode data separately for a technology and that option switches between the two. It does nothing in vanilla as as far as I know no techs define an expensive mode - it's there for modders to use if they want. Not sure I've seen any mods make use of it, but I haven't really been checking.

The cost multiplier worked perfectly fine when I just tried it in 1.1.6. Setting it to 10 made all techs cost 10x the amount of science packs.
Last edited by Silari on Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by invisus »

Silari wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:22 pm
Expensive mode for technologies works pretty much the same as expensive recipes do. You can define a normal and expensive mode data separately for a technology and that option switches between the two. It does nothing in vanilla as far as I know no techs define an expensive mode - it's there for modders to use if they want. Not sure I've seen any mods make use of it, but I haven't really been checking.

The cost multiplier worked perfectly fine when I just tried it in 1.1.6. Setting it to 10 made all techs cost 10x the amount of science packs.
Huh. So I suppose that makes sense that expensive does nothing if the techs themselves don't define this in vanilla.

And I think what was throwing me with the price multiplier was simply not checking thoroughly enough. It seems that the "automation" technology is the only one NOT effected by the price multiplier.

Thanks for your input, it seems the price multiplier does indeed work. Very nice!

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

invisus wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:59 pm

And I think what was throwing me with the price multiplier was simply not checking thoroughly enough. It seems that the "automation" technology is the only one NOT effected by the price multiplier.
Wow, that's new, that "automation" is not affected by price multiplier !?

And I forgot about expensive "technologies"... :| Thought, its about recipes

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

jodokus31 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:23 am
invisus wrote:

No one wants to handcraft 1000 red packs.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

AmericanPatriot wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:54 am
jodokus31 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:23 am
invisus wrote:

No one wants to handcraft 1000 red packs.
Yep, its a nice addition. I have to check, if Marathon Lazy bastard is possible now

Noorphish
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Noorphish »

Sorry to write here again.

Is it a feature or bug, that the maximum affected price multiplier value is 1000 ?

Am I right?

Return to “Gameplay Help”