Multiple stations in one track

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
emilianuri
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Multiple stations in one track

Post by emilianuri »

I'm trying to set a rail path that does not loop but has stations at both ends and stations at mid points, but when i try to set it up, the menu tells me that the only stations avaliable are those at both oposite ends, but not the middle stations. Only one trains runs that route; the tracks crosses itself once and has 3 intersections with separate tracks. I've tried using signals and stations that point at both sides but nothing is working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

lois lane balancer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Multiple stations in one track

Post by lois lane balancer »

emilianuri wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:17 am
I'm trying to set a rail path that does not loop but has stations at both ends and stations at mid points, but when i try to set it up, the menu tells me that the only stations avaliable are those at both oposite ends, but not the middle stations. Only one trains runs that route; the tracks crosses itself once and has 3 intersections with separate tracks. I've tried using signals and stations that point at both sides but nothing is working.
A train can only visit a station from one direction. If the station and the train's path to the station are facing opposite directions, the train can't go directly there without a u-turn. Of course, if the train's schedule has it reverse course after visiting an earlier station, everything works out fine.
But the train pathfinding algorithm doesn't account for a train's ability to reverse after a station. This doesn't mean it can't actually reach those stations, just that it can't reach those stations from where it is right now. Add the stations anyways, after sending the train to the opposite end if needed.

If this doesn't help, post screenshots so we can see your exact setup.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

A train can only "see" what's on the right of the track from its perspective (when facing the direction it's moving towards).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

emilianuri
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by emilianuri »

lois lane balancer wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:28 am
emilianuri wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:17 am
A train can only visit a station from one direction. If the station and the train's path to the station are facing opposite directions, the train can't go directly there without a u-turn. Of course, if the train's schedule has it reverse course after visiting an earlier station, everything works out fine.
But the train pathfinding algorithm doesn't account for a train's ability to reverse after a station. This doesn't mean it can't actually reach those stations, just that it can't reach those stations from where it is right now. Add the stations anyways, after sending the train to the opposite end if needed.

If this doesn't help, post screenshots so we can see your exact setup.
Hi. I tried changing stations but it still won't work. I'm posting the screencaps of my stations and also one of the whole map with the rail sistem. I marked the important parts because it's easy to get lost in my mess. Thanks for the help

Also, the station next to the walls is just temporary while i expand the rails to reach another mining outpost
Attachments
Captura de pantalla 2020-10-20 112222.png
Captura de pantalla 2020-10-20 112222.png (3.17 MiB) Viewed 1796 times
Captura de pantalla 2020-10-20 111829.png
Captura de pantalla 2020-10-20 111829.png (4.07 MiB) Viewed 1796 times
Captura de pantalla 2020-10-20 111249.png
Captura de pantalla 2020-10-20 111249.png (377.07 KiB) Viewed 1796 times
Captura de pantalla 2020-10-20 110830.png
Captura de pantalla 2020-10-20 110830.png (4.73 MiB) Viewed 1796 times
Captura de pantalla 2020-10-20 110726.png
Captura de pantalla 2020-10-20 110726.png (4.63 MiB) Viewed 1796 times

emilianuri
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by emilianuri »

Never mind everyone. I already solved it myself. My problem is that i had forgoten to loop the schedules so that when the train reached the last station, it would then go to the oposite end of the track to repeat the whole process again. Still, thanks to everyone for their help

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Try using a double-direction station in the middle of the track. (Don't forget to change the name on *both* station buildings)
Attachments
double.png
double.png (448.12 KiB) Viewed 1789 times
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Return to “Gameplay Help”