Disable/config fill limit for inserter?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
FritzHugo3
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Disable/config fill limit for inserter?

Post by FritzHugo3 »

Hi there.
I mean in older versions inserter fill up the full inventar from ovens, factorys ect. i prefer this totaly
I mean i have a big 200 inventory and its totaly unuseable for inserter - this is realy dump.
If i like that goes only 5 in the inventory i build a bader/slower inserter or programming it or make a spliter or, or, or. I dont like build a chest for everthing with an inventory to hold an stack.

Minimum the game have must a checkbox or a config or can config it on every inserter but not so dear Devs please.

Is there any mod or editor way to disable this dam fill limit? Where stand the limits in the gamefiles or knows anybody a mod for this.

(And yes, i have search an half houre in google, but my english are noch very good and so the search are a little bit hard to find the right search words - find nothing useble).

Factorio are one of the best games ever but this limits i cant understand. Bevore the change was, was it much better.

Thx for helping.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Disable/config fill limit for inserter?

Post by Koub »

Factorio has worked this way for at least 5 years. If you handfeed, you can add up to 1 stack of ingredients in the input slot of a crafting machine, but with inserters, it's 3x the recipe ingredients+inster stack size., and for furnaces, it's a full stack of output. I'm not aware of a mod that changes this.
You don't have to add a chest after each machine, only to machines that you need to buffer the output of. Lime the items you use to build your base, or some intermediary products, and that's all.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

FritzHugo3
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FritzHugo3 »

Koub wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:25 am
You don't have to add a chest after each machine, only to machines that you need to buffer the output of. Lime the items you use to build your base, or some intermediary products, and that's all.
not after, before! i would fill it up. if i cant use the intern input-inventory i must build for every machin a chest for buffer and this are nonsense. I have tons of recources at the belts and nothing are using to fill up the intern buffers ^^.

I played 2.000 houres factorio, i know how it works. but its a nonsense limitation.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Why would you want to buffer in the input ? Isn't the buffer of over 3 times the needed components for a craft enough for you ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bauer »

Koub wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:40 am
Why would you want to buffer in the input ? Isn't the buffer of over 3 times the needed components for a craft enough for you ?
I'm also trying to understand why someone would want an input buffer. I cannot think of a use case. Quite the opposite: When starting a production line it would take much more time to get into an equilibrium state.

The output buffer already is a double-edged sword. Very convenient if you need stuff for hand crafting but a pain in the ass when you have to tear it down.

FritzHugo3
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FritzHugo3 »

Koub wrote:
No isnt for me. Have much mods and in early game (without the fast inserter) it begins to stuck/strugle with the input. A bigger inputspace could will be kill the pieks.

The product output are realy not the problem.. build a big silo who can hold 100.000 item (or the bigger later) and forget it - do other stuff.

And i like smal compact bases (it much, much harder to plan and build - what i like). I have an Litle island world with all biters at the hardest conditions. if i be not fast enought - i will get never get the next iland for new recources. So i must be fast (with a complete different research tree) ;-).

Sure i can put chests every where (it worke) but its not comftable and need space, its also a little bit aglier.

Krazykrl
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Krazykrl »

FritzHugo3 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:08 am
Koub wrote:
No isnt for me. Have much mods and in early game (without the fast inserter) it begins to stuck/strugle with the input. A bigger inputspace could will be kill the pieks.

The product output are realy not the problem.. build a big silo who can hold 100.000 item (or the bigger later) and forget it - do other stuff.

And i like smal compact bases (it much, much harder to plan and build - what i like). I have an Litle island world with all biters at the hardest conditions. if i be not fast enought - i will get never get the next iland for new recources. So i must be fast (with a complete different research tree) ;-).

Sure i can put chests every where (it worke) but its not comftable and need space, its also a little bit aglier.
This sounds like a flow rate issue, not a buffer issue. You're getting input buffer underruns because the inserters aren't quick enough to keep the machine fed. A larger input buffer will not solve this fact.

Overproducing items earlygame actually makes the game more difficult; since you're creating more pollution and more unused product. Reducing buffer size is what you should be designing for, and as such; you should increase production capacity.

Increased production capacity will let you expand quicker; and produce things like assemblers, power poles, inserters, turrets, ammunition, and walls at a compounding rate.

Allowing yourself space to extend lines of assemblers should be the plan if playing with aggressive enemies. This way you do not produce excessive pollution, and still have the capability to expand production later.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

There are very, very few cases where you want large input buffers. And they don't involve continuous production, but something you need in batches now and then. For example feeding a locomotive assembler from a single engine assembler. Since engines craft so slowly you want a stack so you can do a few locomotives in one go. But for those few cases you can use chest buffers.

FritzHugo3
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FritzHugo3 »

The tecnology that you write are all far, far away. After the first 60 minits i have the first iren ore prodused (no ire-nore in the world - a complete modded game)

@Krazykrl i give you an e.g., iget in the first step 3 items with tweo ores and a third item, all goes to one belt. the technologies for sorting are far away. if the inserter makes the oven inventory full, its a "analog" sorter and at the end grab a inserter all stuff from the belt, what cant go in a furnance. Of course this work only if not all furnances are full. But it helps in the first time. (There are some other reosons becouse insert full inventorys are better than two oder thre recipe.

If you play a normal game some two, trhree houres its ok with the inventory limits becouse you have enough materials to build 50 and more assamblers and this are 150 product items hold (without chest buffersystem what needs space - i have a island- no space to waste for buffer, my science are much expensive and complicated like a normal game).

An other good reason are "snakes" one steel material from the other same mashine (the most use this mechanic are for labors i think)

(@Serenity becouse you say locomotives - the think with trains, they make fun but belts are always constant, cheaper, easier, faster, smaler place way - but to have a big trainsystem make fun thats true - but not efficent. OR MAYBE it hase chance since the version 0.16.51 i played the last time factorio).

Yes but ok. there isnt a way to do this in a textfile in the gamefolder/an Mod - so i must survive the next houres before i have the nice sorting and other things. Or i get the automated player inventory mod that fill up from my own inventory, but this feels like an cheat a little bit.
Thanks for try to help.

Return to “Gameplay Help”