Confused over some tips (Boilers and Steam engine), and more

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Confused over some tips (Boilers and Steam engine), and more

Post by waduk »

Very new to the game, bear with me if this stupid...
I read the tips on this subforum and getting confused over this 14:10:1 steam engine layout.
How is the burner inserter (in the middle) getting fuel for himself aka sustainable fuel?
It's certainly cannot use regular inserter, since the medium pole grid cannot reach that part.
This layout
Another question :
In plant or refineries. Did i have to connect all the pipe input/output to their source/designation? Or can i only use 1 input /output pipe (open ended pipe)
In other words, what are the advantages/disadvantageous using open ended pipe ? Did the input/throughput rate is affected?

Sorry for the english, not native speaker.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Confused over some tips (Boilers and Steam engine), and

Post by sillyfly »

A burner inserter feeding fuel would fuel itself first if it needs more fuel. This feature has not always been in the game, so I guess it is possible it won't work in the current stable version (0.10.12). I don't recall when exactly it was added.

As for pipes - if you have two inputs/outputs of the same type it doesn't really matter. Theoretically having the two outputs could give you more throughput (if you also have two parallel pipes), but I have never needed more than 1 pipe can support.
If the outputs are different liquids (e.g. in oil refineries) you must connect an output for every type, as unconnected outputs will fill up, stopping production.

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by waduk »

Thank you..
Oh ! I didn't know that, but the very first fuel must be inserted manually by player, right ?

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

Yup, this was also new to me, I always had an inserter feeding the burner inserter to have the backup operable in the case of power blackout.

And yes, the initial fuel has to be added to the burner inserter, either by player or another inserter. After that the burner inserter has enough fuel to refuel itself first.

If it burns all fuel and there has not been new fuel for it delivered it will run dry and has to be kickstarted again even if new fuel would be available to the burner later.
When it's handling only fuel-items like coal, etc. this is just a very slim chance to run out while moving the last piece of fuel.

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by waduk »

Ok, got it, thank you so much everyone !

Return to “Gameplay Help”