Train rail signals

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Florah
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Train rail signals

Post by Florah »

My train thinks it has no path, but the rail chain signal is green, which means the path to its destination is completely free, right? I tried everything, and I'm sure my locomotives are facing the right way, the signal is facing the right way, the rail is uninterrupted, the stops are placed correctly, et cetera. I am new to the game so I'm probably still missing something, but I am really clueless right now, so any help is appreciated! It's about the red train by the way, but the other trains seem to have the same problem.
Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 18.34.52.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 18.34.52.png (6.28 MiB) Viewed 1125 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Train rail signals

Post by Loewchen »

You define track direction by placing signals on only one side of the track so trains can only pass with the signal on the right of their driving direction. You managed to signal the two left tracks to be direction West/North only so those trains can not leave and the the main route to be South only so no train will be able to reach those stations on its own, remove all not paired up signals if you want trains to drive in both directions. Complete the train tutorial if you still have trouble with this.

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

I remember someone asked "show me exact reason why my train doesn’t move". It would be great to highlight concrete signal(s) where pathfinding is stuck.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Green train : Can travel south, and then start going east, but cannot pass that second, left hand Red signal on its left, because there is no matching signal on its right.

Red train : Can travel south, but cannot pass that same signal stopping the Green train.

Yellow train : Can travel south without any issues in that screen shot.

NO trains can return to those stations, however; that Rail Signal at the bottom is missing its northward counterpart.

Trains that cannot complete their trip cannot even start one, resulting in the No Path issue. Fix the signaling and they’ll be able to move.

That said .. try to avoid two-way, one-lane tracks. They’re a bear to signal properly and can easily result in deadlocked trains.

Florah
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Florah »

Thank you guys so much! I actually did all the trains tutorials twice before posting my question. The only thing that didn't become clear to me from the tutorials was that every signal must have a matching signal on the other side of the rails if you want them to be able to travel both ways. I did as you guys suggested and now my trains are moving fine!

Return to “Gameplay Help”