Steam Engine Setup

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
POJO
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Steam Engine Setup

Post by POJO »

Hi,
is there any proper guide how to setup steam-engines?

Actual i run a chained-design but a lot of the engines does not seem to work (no available performance).
No engine behind the marked one (included) has any available performance, but all of them are connected to the energy-network and to the pipes.

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/dow ... iew&id=207

Any hints?
Attachments
setup.png
setup.png (461.99 KiB) Viewed 11355 times

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Steam Engine Setup

Post by SilverWarior »

As you can see on your pipes many of them have black indicator as if there would be no water in them. Well that is actually true. You see when steam engines operate they consume the water so if you don't have enough water pipes to provide enough water some of your steam engines won't work as they aren't getting any water to them.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Try to add pump.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Thickness of the red line in the pipe window says how much water is available in the pipe, while it's speed displays, well, it's speed

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

instead of one long, solid line for your pumps, i would recommend having several shorter pumps.

i have them in lines sticking out from the water, 1 pump 10 boilers 8 steam engines, i make use of underground pipes to allow easy spacing
this is a shot of my main design ideal, its spaced out more than nessacary because A) increases manuverability and lets me quickly access any section of the power plant
and B) with these gaps any creeper attacks move through the walkways instead of through the steam engines

POJO
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by POJO »

Thanks a lot :)

Return to “Gameplay Help”