Hating The Circuit Network

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Hating The Circuit Network

Post by MakeItGraphic »

Tried making this post yesterday but the computer died before I could submit it. I quit playing one save for 14 days because it's just giving me a migraine and anxiety. I've read the wiki, and videos give me sensory overload. I wish there was something more tangible like a book on this game, or series of books.
CIRCUIT001.PNG
CIRCUIT001.PNG (345.63 KiB) Viewed 2964 times
CIRCUIT002.PNG
CIRCUIT002.PNG (379.56 KiB) Viewed 2964 times
CIRCUIT003.PNG
CIRCUIT003.PNG (352.83 KiB) Viewed 2964 times
CIRCUIT004.PNG
CIRCUIT004.PNG (362.88 KiB) Viewed 2964 times
CIRCUIT005.PNG
CIRCUIT005.PNG (364.71 KiB) Viewed 2964 times
I had this working at one point and time but I neglected to take notes.

INPUT | OUTPUT

| Clock Combinator outputs D, H. M, S

Decider Combinator:

H = X | Colour signal

Lamp:

Color Signal ----> works

adding a second decider combinator and arithmetic combinator is where it breaks down. I want to be able to read the hour and minutes and if both = true make the lamp x color.

If your inputs only consist of boolean values (1 or 0) the arithmetic combinator's operators can be used as logic gates.

So I tried outputting 1 instead on both deciders still nothing.

Flash forward to a different setup:
CIRCUIT006.PNG
CIRCUIT006.PNG (261.82 KiB) Viewed 2964 times
CIRCUIT007.PNG
CIRCUIT007.PNG (403.06 KiB) Viewed 2964 times
CIRCUIT008.PNG
CIRCUIT008.PNG (644.02 KiB) Viewed 2964 times
CIRCUIT009.PNG
CIRCUIT009.PNG (372.31 KiB) Viewed 2964 times

This is where I just throw the computer and don't look back. It makes me reevalute everything I thought I learned and toss it out the window regardless if it was true or not.

South_Yard_Iron001 works fine with the enable/disable boolean. Condition B=1. The lamp works fine outputs a red signal if Iron is less than X. Then the decider outputs B as a value of 1 and the station is enabled. Great I'm learning, there is positive feedback.

Then I drag the line all the way out to Iron_Hills001 via power pole and the condition now is B=0 and the station is disabled. I don't understand, I have mods in place to do Shortwave, and Remote signals. But I want to learn/semi-master vanilla logic first.

I would say I wish there was in-game tutorials but mods are somehow able to disable tutorials through errors so that's a moot point. I am going to try to find as much information online and throw together a packet to print out. I been on reddit, I been on the wiki and it's either too complex, and or not enough explanation for someone as simple as I.

https://wiki.factorio.com/Circuit_network
https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Circ ... k_cookbook
https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Combinator_tutorial
https://www.reddit.com/r/n00bwaffles/co ... _factorio/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_connective
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boolean_algebra
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic_gate

There was at a time a puzzle game on Android that helped teaches logic gates, but I can't find the right app anymore.

http://nandgame.com/
https://academo.org/demos/logic-gate-simulator/

Going to start reading more on the Wikipedia side of things, and try the simulator. Any help or pointing into useful directions would be appreciated thanks.

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Hating The Circuit Network

Post by MakeItGraphic »

AND_GATE.PNG
AND_GATE.PNG (7.83 KiB) Viewed 2961 times
So this was my take on it as well.

Input 1 and Input 2 = 1 | Output 1
CIRCUIT010.PNG
CIRCUIT010.PNG (115.56 KiB) Viewed 2961 times
CIRCUIT011.PNG
CIRCUIT011.PNG (137.01 KiB) Viewed 2961 times
CIRCUIT012.PNG
CIRCUIT012.PNG (40.73 KiB) Viewed 2961 times
CIRCUIT013.PNG
CIRCUIT013.PNG (300.47 KiB) Viewed 2961 times
CIRCUIT014.PNG
CIRCUIT014.PNG (376.09 KiB) Viewed 2961 times
Ok did all that but no matter what I set the second decider to the light magically lights green. I've had a lot of issues before with circuit entities being backwards, or wires drawn wrong. So grain of salt here.

Now another thing that happened that I want to figure out is strobe lights. Flashing lights, I had at one time that light pulse green when condition was true, but no idea how I did it.

EDIT: ok so

CIRCUIT015.PNG
CIRCUIT015.PNG (351.56 KiB) Viewed 2954 times
CIRCUIT016.PNG
CIRCUIT016.PNG (300.63 KiB) Viewed 2954 times
CIRCUIT017.PNG
CIRCUIT017.PNG (274.04 KiB) Viewed 2954 times

I can confirm the decider logic is working soundly, it's just breaking down when I use the arithmetic combinator as an and gate.

EDIT 2:

viewtopic.php?t=14556
CIRCUIT018.PNG
CIRCUIT018.PNG (215.3 KiB) Viewed 2950 times
Tried "if everything = 1" output color. The two lamps in front say nothing = 1 but it lights up.

EDIT 3:

Tried each, "if each input =1 output color". But this only works on the lamp if 1 input = 1 not both.

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MakeItGraphic »

CIRCUIT020.PNG
CIRCUIT020.PNG (400.81 KiB) Viewed 2943 times
EACH operator
CIRCUIT021.PNG
CIRCUIT021.PNG (371.11 KiB) Viewed 2943 times
AND operator

both don't work, and this is where I stop.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

I'll just list screw ups I see from top to bottom since this is so horribly structured.
  • wrong color
  • signal "1" =/= signal = 1
  • failure to chose output signal (this is still the same issue as I explained to you last time)
  • rdfm of "everything"
  • rdfm of "each"
Best advise I can give, build a test save for your circuit logic and completely isolate each one, do it with vanilla signals only. This has the big advantage not only of finding issues, but you can post the save in the forum so others can trouble shoot it.
Further more, read the wiki!
You use circuits logic as you want it to work not as it actually works.

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

Would like to help, but your question is not clear to me.
What do you want to achieve, exactly? And which mod(s) are you using?

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

I recommend to not use [0] and [1] signals for discrete logic because this can cause confusions. If you have [0]=1, [1]=0 or [0]=[1] you may need an extra thinking who is who, which is not necessary.
Also, double check what exactly combinator inputs are every time, wiring mistakes are quite common.
Last edited by coppercoil on Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Theikkru
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Theikkru »

I see 3 concepts you might not be getting about logic circuits that are causing problems:
1. Signals must be transmitted on a channel to travel on a wire between devices. Constants are local to the combinator/device. An arithmetic gate set to 1 (TRUE) AND 1 (TRUE) will always evaluate to 1 (TRUE), irrespective of any inputs, because it's not even reading the input channels. Likewise, a decider set to output a value of 1, but not given a channel to output on, will do nothing.
2. the ALL input is a special case that only considers channels that have a signal (i.e. those which≠0), because otherwise you'd have to set every single channel to the condition value to ever get it to evaluate to TRUE, which would be unhelpful. Therefore, an ALL input will always evaluate to TRUE if there are no input signals, because ALL present signals (of which there are none) meet the condition.
3. The EACH input on a decider is a special case that evaluates each input channel against the condition separately and combines the results of that evaluation on the output. If the output channel is EACH, it will output on the same channels as the input channels, but if you specify one output channel, it will output all of the results on that channel, and per Factorio rules for multiple outputs on the same channel, will add the values together to come up with the final signal value.

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MakeItGraphic »

disentius wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:17 pm
Would like to help, but your question is not clear to me.
What do you want to achieve, exactly? And which mod(s) are you using?
Sorry yeah constantly all over the place. I am using https://mods.factorio.com/mods/binbinhfr/TimeTools.

Trying to output if hour = X then X, and if minute = X then X. I can do both of these functions fine, but it's when I try to add them together I run into problems.

Eg. if hour = X and minute = X output signal value of 1

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

MakeItGraphic wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:01 pm
You mean "if hour = X and minute = Y"? This would be an important difference.

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MakeItGraphic »

coppercoil wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:05 pm
MakeItGraphic wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:01 pm
You mean "if hour = X and minute = Y"? This would be an important difference.
Right then if X and Y = 1 output Z

This is the furthest I have been able to reach:

CIRCUIT022.PNG
CIRCUIT022.PNG (191.17 KiB) Viewed 2891 times
X = 0
Y = 1
Z = 0
CIRCUIT023.PNG
CIRCUIT023.PNG (267.66 KiB) Viewed 2891 times
X = 1
Y = 1
Z = 1
CIRCUIT024.PNG
CIRCUIT024.PNG (260.27 KiB) Viewed 2891 times
X = 1
Y = 0
Z = 1

Then my logic faults in this step.
Last edited by MakeItGraphic on Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Theikkru
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Theikkru »

Try taking the setup in CIRCUIT021.PNG and changing the arithmetic combinator input equation from "1 AND 1" to "[GREEN] AND [ORANGE]"

Note: lamps do not output signals, so there is nothing on the red wire in CIRCUIT022.PNG, CIRCUIT023.PNG, and CIRCUIT024.PNG

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MakeItGraphic »

Theikkru wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:14 pm
Try taking the setup in CIRCUIT021.PNG and changing the arithmetic combinator input equation from "1 AND 1" to "[GREEN] AND [ORANGE]"
Yep, you're right. Exactly what I was getting confused about. Was in regards to the output signals and their visual representation.

All three cases work now, thank you. I'm just over thinking this, and getting confused by the output value.
Attachments
CIRCUIT029.PNG
CIRCUIT029.PNG (254.49 KiB) Viewed 2888 times
CIRCUIT028.PNG
CIRCUIT028.PNG (231.64 KiB) Viewed 2888 times
CIRCUIT027.PNG
CIRCUIT027.PNG (265.76 KiB) Viewed 2888 times

TheRangerLOL
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheRangerLOL »

MakeItGraphic wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:56 pm
Now another thing that happened that I want to figure out is strobe lights. Flashing lights, I had at one time that light pulse green when condition was true, but no idea how I did it.
I was working on another project and I accidentally figured out strobe lights. Very simple. Here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=193&t=89598
The one and only.

Return to “Gameplay Help”