Change station in train schedule while keeping the conditions

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
vorner
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Change station in train schedule while keeping the conditions

Post by vorner »

Hello

I've build a modular train-based factory. To deploy an additional copy of a module, I place a blueprint with the stop and its own private train to carry supplies and products around. However, to make sure the train serves this module and not some other one (closer to the source of the supplies), I need to rename the station.

This means I have to change the station in the train schedule too. But the only way I've found is to delete the current instance of the station, add a new one and drag it into place. With some complicated conditions on it, it is a bit annoying. I haven't found a way to just change the station (eg. the station name isn't a drop-down menu to pick a different one). Does anyone have an easier way to do this that doesn't require creating the whole condition again? Maybe a mod? When searching, I've found this topic that seems somewhat related, but not completely and its seems not to be fully solved:

viewtopic.php?t=28453

To illustrate, I'm attaching a screenshot of one of such trains with the conditions. I want the same schedule, just with „Subfactory science 1 - W2 - 2“.
Attachments
train.png
train.png (596.96 KiB) Viewed 1515 times

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Change station in train schedule while keeping the conditions

Post by ptx0 »

this could be easily solved by having a descriptive language available in-game for anyone who wants to edit their train schedules a bit more precisely, or, to import portions of another schedule, and so on.

you could have a JSON or YAML (but JSON is easier, imo - i know, this is a religious war) document that, similar to blueprint or map exchange string, allows user to import/export settings.

the difference from exchange strings is that this would be human readable and therefore, editable.

vorner
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by vorner »

Hmm, that's actually an interesting idea. Because the blueprint string is a base64-encoded compressed JSON, as documented here: https://wiki.factorio.com/Blueprint_string_format. I wonder if exporting it, using an external rename tool and importing would be less work than doing this editing.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

oh, it is? then you could easily make a mod to do this in-game.

vorner
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by vorner »

Thanks for pointing me into the right direction! Instead of trying to search for mods to rename train schedules, I started to look for blueprint templates and found this: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Blueprint-Editor. Apparently, someone already did that and more :-).

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

that is something that would be handy if merged into vanilla, for sure. thanks for finding it!

Return to “Gameplay Help”