Performance

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Aza-Industries
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Performance

Post by Aza-Industries »

In recent hours of gameplay I've been experiencing a worsening performance drop. I'm not too concerned as my factory is pretty crazy, I'm mostly trying to figure out what it is.

I've checked and set both Factorio's CPU affinity to use all cores and RAM usage making sure it's large address aware.

But, the problem doesn't seem to be computer resources.

CPU usage is sticking around 11-14% on factorio and not using any more.
GPU usage is only about 45% max, 35% average.
RAM usage is hovering around 1.2gig and I have plenty to spare.
Nothing else is running on this PC except for OS services.

Temperatures are lower then when I run other games too. (Macbooks run stupidly hot (yes I have a macbook (no I don't support apple I loath them (it's a long story))))

Anywho.. While I'm not too worried about the performance I'm still curious why it's running this way at the moment, especially when I have resources to spare.
If anyone could shine some light on this I would greatly appreciate it. =)

My guess is just the capability of the game engine, but that's only because I can't think of anything else that would cause this.

Here's an image.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Performance

Post by kovarex »

We are aware of it, everything is running in one thread.
All I can say is, that it will change :)

Aza-Industries
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aza-Industries »

kovarex wrote:We are aware of it, everything is running in one thread.
All I can say is, that it will change :)
Oh, thanks for the reply.
I should have known that. =/
Damn threads didn't cross my mind. :(

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

after seeing your maps i can only imagine that your macbook is righteously beastly. how many gigahertz does each core have?

Aza-Industries
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aza-Industries »

Dakkanor wrote:after seeing your maps i can only imagine that your macbook is righteously beastly. how many gigahertz does each core have?
Well it's only 2.7ghz per core, the design intention of multi-core I assume is to have more cores at a lower clock so they are more efficient / stable / cooler.

I actually have a more powerful PC that I'm getting ready to test my factorio save on, I don't turn it on much because I do very little high end gaming these days.
The power bill also takes a hit when it's on.

I got this macbook half price from my university, in any other situation I would never have bought an apply product. But for the halved price you couldn't get better hardware in a laptop. It's the Mid 2012 macbook pro 9.1, 15" model. I've also taken out the optical drive and whacked in a 250gig SSD. =D

I also find it funny I'm using barely any of the Macs peripherals, I use an external DAC/Soundcard, Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse. So it just sits on my desk collecting dust.

I imagine my big PC will run the game much smoother as each core is running at 4.7ghz, It's an i5 2500k.

Anywho..

I look forward to the day of multi-threading in this game! =D

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

BTW: The GPU utilization 0% looks pretty suspicious.

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

ah my laptop has intel I7 with 4 cores at 2.1 Ghz.

i've considered overclocking one of the cores to avoid chugging, but i don't want to risk burning my processer out....

Aza-Industries
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aza-Industries »

MF- wrote:BTW: The GPU utilization 0% looks pretty suspicious.
Yeah maybe the software just can't get that information out of the GPU/GFX Card. I mean it has GPU load there still sitting on about 40%.
Dakkanor wrote: ah my laptop has intel I7 with 4 cores at 2.1 Ghz.

i've considered overclocking one of the cores to avoid chugging, but i don't want to risk burning my processer out....
Yeah, if you have the cooling you can always OC it a little without any negative effects. I wouldn't OC a laptop though mine is stock at 2.6ghz, if you have a desktop there are plenty of OC advice on specific models of Mobo/CPU that people have come up with OCing the same hardware themselves.

OCing isn't as necessary as as it use to be with hardware being so cheap now, I remember my first PC... I had to OC it to buggery to get it to run games.

Oh and I tried factorio on my big rig, the performance wasn't any better. =/
So it's either that single thread problem or somehow I did something in my world that is making it chug, e.g. set a chest to request more then it can hold, that sometimes causes weird behavior. But my logistic bees seem to be performing normally.

Aza-Industries
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aza-Industries »

Hello! Just an update, I didn't want to create a new topic for this..

I have a preferable performance now.

I've set the updates per frame to 1, while this actually puts the game in slo-mo I prefer it a lot more to the jumpiness I had earlier that was making the game sit at 7fps.

EDIT: What's the default updates per frame setting? Mine was on 5, and I don't remember touching it before.
EDIT: With these settings I find if I save and reload the FPS goes up to 60 for a random amount of time before dropping down to something closer to 30fps. Sometimes the 60fps lasts ages, other times it doesn't,

Here's a screeny of some stats, I just figured out how to get this up on screen. It's very useful.

Return to “Gameplay Help”