Problems with Steam Engine power

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
vesperdem
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Problems with Steam Engine power

Post by vesperdem »

I'm running version 0.11.10 (Build 13013) for Macintosh. I've run several previous games with no problems at all with the Steam Engines. I'm using the popular 14 Boilers to 10 Steam Engine ratio. However, this latest run, I build the structure, I have Small Power Lines running along the Steam Engines, and fill the first Boiler with Coal. The first Steam Engine starts to animate, then stops. No power, nothing. I fell all the Boilers with Coal, they all have water, all at 100º, yet the first Steam Engine shows a random temperature and doesn't produce power.

My previous map, I had 6 such structures all running perfectly producing tons of power (I have biters turned off for the time being to help me learn what I will need to build when I do turn biters on).

Is there a bug in 11.10 that I can't find? Is anyone else experiencing this? Do I need to setup the Steam Engines differently now from previous versions?

I would love to get past this problem. It kind of kills playing the game if you can't generate electricity. :shrug:

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Problems with Steam Engine power

Post by DaveMcW »

Attach something that uses electricity.

vesperdem
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by vesperdem »

Wow, do I feel stupid! I knew it was something simple, or there would be tons of people complaining about it.

Thanks a billion DaveMcW!

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Yup just as Dave said! It is a bit funky in my opinion that it does this, as it can be quite misleading, as you found out. :p But no worries, this got me the first couple times as well.
Image Image Image

vesperdem
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by vesperdem »

It's not all that misleading. All the machines in Factorio do this. I was just having a senior moment with what it meant. It might help if the Steam Engines would show 100º as well as the Boilers to let us know that they are ready for power production.

Xterminator, I found your LP's on Factorio. Really enjoyed them. I've been learning a lot of the factory floor patterns by watching all these LP's.

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LordFedora »

They hold the water temp for some reason, they go up to 100 when the demand goes up

Return to “Gameplay Help”