Combinators problem

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
plussantana
Inserter
Inserter

Combinators problem

Post by plussantana »

I'm new programming and I don't understand the logic of the combiners and the advanced things that I can do with them. Any document any idea, any tutorial
Any document, any idea, any tutorial will be well received

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Combinators problem

Post by MEOWMI »

I would personally recommend these two:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14556
https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Circ ... k_cookbook
Neither is amazing, but they both teach in their own nice fashion.

I will add, that combinators were pretty difficult for myself to pick up on, even though I know programming and am quite comfortable with similar systems in other games, e.g. complicated redstone in Minecraft. Combinators just seem to be a little weird somehow.

A few quick, important tips:
- Use wires to connect entities to power poles. Hovering over the power pole (or any combinator) will tell you what signals are passing through in the info panel. Helps immensely with figuring out how combinators work and when debugging your first circuits misbehaving.
- A signal of value "zero" is always the same as NO signal, this means you can never "send" a signal of value zero, it will just be an empty signal - no signal.
I'm mentioning these two things because I wish I would have learned them right away when I got into combinators instead of an hour or two into trying to build something.

DaleStan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DaleStan »

I'd also add:
- Combinators operate in discrete time, and implicitly sum all connected outputs.

Happy side effect: You can build a clock. (Constant combinator that outputs A=1, connected to both the input and output of an "A < 5, output A's input value" combinator. A starts at 1, increments every tick, and then resets back to 1 after reaching 5.)
Unhappy side effect: If you attach that clock to the input of an "A + 10, output B" combinator, the two signals will synchronize like this:

Code: Select all

A:  1  2  3  4  5  1  2  3  4 ...
B:    11 12 13 14 15 11 12 13 ...
In each case, B is 10 larger than the previous value of A.

MEOWMI wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:45 am
- A signal of value "zero" is always the same as NO signal, this means you can never "send" a signal of value zero
Side effect: If you have the output of an "each - 10, output each" combinator wired to the input of an "each + 10, output each" combinator, the output of the second combinator will not necessarily match the input of the first. Any signals that have a value of exactly 10 on the input of the first will be 'missing' from the output of the second.

PyroFire
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PyroFire »

What's the problem though?

Not knowing programming and circuit logic isn't exactly a problem per say.

plussantana
Inserter
Inserter

Post by plussantana »

Thanks

Return to “Gameplay Help”