Very Very Laggy On Mac Yosimite

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Extremis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Very Very Laggy On Mac Yosimite

Post by Extremis »

So I try out the experimental Demo 0.11.8 and it works flawlessly so I decide to buy the game. When I downloaded the same version 0.11.8, I open it up and started to play it and it there was so much lag that its took me a full minute to place down a miner in the correct position. I am on a Mac Yosimite. I would love if yall could fix this!
Last edited by Extremis on Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xecutor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Very Very Laggy On Mac Yosimite

Post by Xecutor »

I'm playing factorio 0.11.8 on Yosimite and it works totally fine.
Check if you have enough ram (you need at least 650Mb of free ram to start the game, and I think up to 1Gb of bigger factories) and that there are no other processes that consume a lot of CPU.

Extremis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Extremis »

I think I have plenty of RAM (I have 2 2GB Memory Cards), But the thing I dont get is the Demo runs perfect, and the real game getts like maybe 1 fps...Also I noticed that the menu screen is perfectly fine but when I get into the real game it starts freezing and stuttering.

Xecutor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xecutor »

Extremis wrote:I think I have plenty of RAM (I have 2 2GB Memory Cards), But the thing I dont get is the Demo runs perfect, and the real game getts like maybe 1 fps...Also I noticed that the menu screen is perfectly fine but when I get into the real game it starts freezing and stuttering.
4Gb is actually not too much. I have 16Gb :)
Full game requires more memory than demo.
So, my bet is - not enough memory. The game is being swapped and slows down.
Start Activity Monitor while the game is running and look at memory tab, is there free memory or not.
If you don't understand it at all, post screenshot of memory tab here.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

The full game has much more graphical assets, so it makes sense it would be more demanding.
Without knowing your system specification (CPU, Memory, Graphics adapter) it isn't possible to say if it is a bug or simply a matter of not enough power :)

What you can do though is try lowering the graphical settings until you get reasonable framerate.
My laptop isn't too strong, so I have disabled all effects (clouds, smoke, etc.) and run at low graphical detail. This way I get to 50-60 fps most of the time, while with full settings I would only get 20-30 fps.

Extremis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Extremis »

Ok thanks for all the help but I did I clean install of Yosimite and It worked flawlessly :D Thanks

Return to “Gameplay Help”