I can't even, trains... Help.

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
FictiveFox
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

I can't even, trains... Help.

Post by FictiveFox »

I'm about 700+ hours into my factorio life and I only bought the game about a year ago. I've master just about everything, except for trains and some advanced circuitry.

Are there any solid resources, YouTube channels, or such to help bridge this gap? Ones that are up to date. I run on the dev .17 version. Most things I find are out of date or OBE in any sense.

The only reason I've made it this far is because I use blueprints. I feel like I'm cheating and the guilt is catching up to me. Especially, when I need something specific and no matter how I try my trains always go all "NO PATH" on me.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: I can't even, trains... Help.

Post by Koub »

My own personal favourite on the subject is : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZiL7_vfJtQ
The interface is outdated, but iirc, the content is still valid. It's the resource I get back to when I have to do a train that does more than go back and forth all alone on its tracks between two stations.
[Koub] Moved to Gameplay help
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

I always recommend the tutorial linked in this reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... ts_23_and/

eduran
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by eduran »

FictiveFox wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:41 am
I run on the dev .17 version.
0.17 introduced temporary stations, which are a great no-path debugging tool. Here is how to use it:
  1. Select the train with the no-path error. The minimap that is part of the train GUI is what you need.
  2. On that map you follow the track the train is supposed to take with your mouse cursor while holding CTRL (don't click).
  3. You should see a green line connecting the train to your mouse cursor, which indicates a valid path to that point.
  4. At some point on the way to the destination station, the green path will vanish. That is the point at which your rail network is broken.
At that point, look for either a missing piece of rail or a signal facing the wrong way.

FictiveFox
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by FictiveFox »

eduran wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:44 am
FictiveFox wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:41 am
I run on the dev .17 version.
0.17 introduced temporary stations, which are a great no-path debugging tool. Here is how to use it:
  1. Select the train with the no-path error. The minimap that is part of the train GUI is what you need.
  2. On that map you follow the track the train is supposed to take with your mouse cursor while holding CTRL (don't click).
  3. You should see a green line connecting the train to your mouse cursor, which indicates a valid path to that point.
  4. At some point on the way to the destination station, the green path will vanish. That is the point at which your rail network is broken.
At that point, look for either a missing piece of rail or a signal facing the wrong way.
Thanks for explaining that. I was using it, but not correctly. I only used it for point and click travel. Never really tried using it to test for break spots.

FictiveFox
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by FictiveFox »

Thanks for all the options. This should help me a lot!

Return to “Gameplay Help”