There is no spoon help

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Swanny
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

There is no spoon help

Post by Swanny »

Hi all,
I was wondering if I could have some help with a problem me and my friend have.
We tried to complete the there is no spoon achievement and entered up launching the rocket in 7hr 55min. This is the first time either of us have ever launched the rocket and we completed the game for the first time. However neither of us got the achievement (or any of the other finish the game related ones, and we got not finished the game screen). We put a fish in the rocket and both got so long and thanks for all the fish.
We are playing on an older version of factorio as we heard it was a bit easier to achieve (0.15)
Peaceful mode is off but we disabled pollution and biter expansion.
On the in game achievement screen it came up as possible and we tracked it to keep time of our run so we are definitely under time.
I'm not sure what we've done wrong but don't want to start another run only for that to fail for the same reason.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: There is no spoon help

Post by Koub »

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68449
but also viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50933 may be relevant.
Lowering difficulty (from default) will disable the ability to some achievements, including there is no spoon.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Things that can disable the achievement:

1) Using any mods.

2) Some changes to biter behavior. I can't remember exactly which. I think that disabling expansion is fine, but no pollution might be a problem (of course, no expansion plus max starter area size makes the biters leave you alone).

3) Using almost any command.

I remember seeing a Spoon thread where KoS (Katherine of Sky) answered what settings you can change safely. I also remember a YouTube spoon video for a 0.15 run that had a map string perfect for spoon and showed you what settings to use. A little googling should let you find one of those.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

zOldBulldog wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:27 am

1) Using any mods.

2) Some changes to biter behavior. I can't remember exactly which. I think that disabling expansion is fine, but no pollution might be a problem (of course, no expansion plus max starter area size makes the biters leave you alone).

I remember seeing a Spoon thread where KoS (Katherine of Sky) answered what settings you can change safely. I also remember a YouTube spoon video for a 0.15 run that had a map string perfect for spoon and showed you what settings to use. A little googling should let you find one of those.
1.) yes, altho you have to differentiate between ingame achievments and steam achievments. Any mod will disable Steam completely, but afaik you will get ingame achievments with mods.
You can test it, because you can reset them, which doesn´t have an effect on Steam ones

2.) iirc disabling pollution works, as its not directly linked to biter strenght settings. I heared of it as a neat trick to have an easy "normal biter strengh run"
Peaceful mode does definatly not work, whatever biter settings

3.) commands that disable achievments will trigger a warning and you have to enter them again.
that is unique per map/save/whatever as the game remembers what you typed across saves (up arrow while command line is active will let you scroll through all your last commands) but the warning pops up every new game

Best way to test for yourself is start a map and open achievments tab above the minimap. scroll to "there is no spoon". If you have biter settings that disable that achievment, it will tell you you are not eligible

Swanny
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Swanny »

GrumpyJoe wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:03 am
zOldBulldog wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:27 am

1) Using any mods.

1.) yes, altho you have to differentiate between ingame achievments and steam achievments. Any mod will disable Steam completely, but afaik you will get ingame achievments with mods.
You can test it, because you can reset them, which doesn´t have an effect on Steam ones

2.) iirc disabling pollution works, as its not directly linked to biter strenght settings. I heared of it as a neat trick to have an easy "normal biter strengh run"
Peaceful mode does definatly not work, whatever biter settings

3.) commands that disable achievments will trigger a warning and you have to enter them again.
that is unique per map/save/whatever as the game remembers what you typed across saves (up arrow while command line is active will let you scroll through all your last commands) but the warning pops up every new game

Best way to test for yourself is start a map and open achievments tab above the minimap. scroll to "there is no spoon". If you have biter settings that disable that achievment, it will tell you you are not eligible
Thanks for your response.
The reason why we are confused is because we checked the achievements in-game and it said we could get the achievement (which is why we were able to track it and use it as a timer).
It recognised the rocked launch as we got the "so long and thanks for all the fish" achievement but none of the ones for finishing the game, not in game or in steam.
We also checked before we started that no mods were used

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

Ouch! I share your pain, doing all that work and missing out on the achievement. I think that prior to 0.17, in order to "win" the game, you had to launch a satellite, not just launch the rocket with or without any other payload. The documentation for 0.16 on the stable wikihttps://stable.wiki.factorio.com/Satellite says "The crafted satellite must be placed into the rocket before launch, otherwise launching the rocket will not result in completion of the game."
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

Swanny wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:35 pm

Thanks for your response.
The reason why we are confused is because we checked the achievements in-game and it said we could get the achievement (which is why we were able to track it and use it as a timer).
It recognised the rocked launch as we got the "so long and thanks for all the fish" achievement but none of the ones for finishing the game, not in game or in steam.
We also checked before we started that no mods were used
well, first i would have said the reason that you gotthe fishy one is that you had no mods, and that the fishy one does not rely on biters.
but im still confused, since you said you could track the spoon and even checked it that way, but still didn´t get it :?

some of my post was just speculation, thus im even more wondering now :?:

guess the wiki link to achievments is the best bet, i didn´t check at work

Dixi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dixi »

I think it's either "fish" or game complete with a satellite. Can't do both with one rocket.

Return to “Gameplay Help”