Power Problems

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
mICHAEL
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Power Problems

Post by mICHAEL »

IN my current game I am generating a lot of pollution due to my multiple OIl refineries and Chemical plants to turn my light oil Into petroleum so I built about 100+ laser turrets as I didn't want them threatened by the large alien bases around me,but this is straining my power to the extreme,as when they fire my base has mini-brownouts. I need my Electronic circuits for other things rather than solar panels,and more Steam powerplants will just add to my problems,so it there any other way of increasing my power generation,without generating additional pollution? I do have a large bank of accumulators,but they can't store enough power to be useful,when the sun goes down. I know there's a few mods that add additional ways of power generation into the game,but do they work with existing games,if I tried them?

Marbles
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Power Problems

Post by Marbles »

mICHAEL wrote:I need my Electronic circuits for other things rather than solar panels,
Sounds like you need them more for solar panels than anything else.

Also, instead of upping power production, try lowering power usage by shutting of parts of your base or putting efficiency modules in your miners and furnaces.

Or take out the bases that cause the most attacks.

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

Build more steam engines. Main source for pollution are NOT the boilers for the steam engines, but miners, assemblers, refineries, chem plants, furnaces.

But the only thing that really helps: Destroy nearby enemy bases that are within area of pollution.

You say you have a large bank of accus, are they connected to the main grid? The should really buffer small high-demand spikes.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

I would say either add more steam engines, or use your circuits for solar panels. If your base goes into a brown out every time your lasers fire, then whatever you may need those circuits for besides panels, becomes irrelevant because it won't have power anyway. Or just remove some of your turrets. :p Unless your playing with increased biter settings, I think 100 laser turrets, especially in one area is way overkill. Usually 20-30 per side of my base is fine unless I have biter settings turned up to begin with.

Or try out some mods. A new that I am currently using that seems very interesting is Uranium Power: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=6740 It works fine with vanilla, but sense it adds new resources, you might have to respawn the resource on your current map. Or you could try installing Dytech Core, and Dytech Energy to give the upgrades steam engines and solar panels/accumulators.
Image Image Image

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

I would also recomend using Efficiency Modules https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... tle=Module
By putting two Level 1 Efficiency Modules in each of your mines your asemblers and your furnaces you can decrease their energy consumption by 60%. So on the scale of whole base this could result in up to about 50% lower power consumption depending on your base setup.
This will also decrease the amount of polution they generate.
So you will be saving power and probably reducing the frequency of biters attack and their strenght at the same time. A win-win situation if you ask me.

NOTE of caution:
Since biters usually launch their attacks toward the area with biggest polution make sure that you first start inserting Efficiency Modules into machines which are near the least protected areas. This way you won't be surprised by an atack from unexpected direction.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

I recommend Accumulators. They will provide a power buffer. When laser turrets fire, they will drain significantly, but it won't cause your entire base to brown-out.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Terra_Incognito
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Terra_Incognito »

Xterminator wrote:Or try out some mods. A new that I am currently using that seems very interesting is Uranium Power: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=6740 It works fine with vanilla, but sense it adds new resources, you might have to respawn the resource on your current map.
Can anyone tell me what the command is to respawn resources on an existing map? I know I saw it once but I cannot find it anymore.

Return to “Gameplay Help”