Help me understand storage chest priority

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
ohmyfactorio
Inserter
Inserter

Help me understand storage chest priority

Post by ohmyfactorio »

Hello.

Can someone explain how the logistic network works? I have bots carrying stuff to a storage chest way way way way far away, when there's one nearby. Why? I can't find the answer in the wiki and when I search storage chest in the forum, I get a lot of results for writing mods instead.

What I want to have happen is, when I deconstruct a small section, I want everything to go into the closest storage chest, the one I'm standing next to, not the one at the other end of the base.

Thanks!

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Help me understand storage chest priority

Post by Bauer »

We all want that.
The storage chests have an order (invisible to the player, basically the building order). They are filled in this order.
You want to be very careful with storage chests for this reason. Buffer chests are much better for most purposes.

I only have storage chests in the center of my logistics network and use buffer chests otherwise. And yes, this means that the bots will bring everything there as a result of a deconstruction order. But it's only "half the base" in the worst case and not "the other end of the base".

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

1. Storage chests with a matching inventory
2. Storage chests with a matching filter
3. Storage chests with no filter and no inventory
4. Storage chests with no filter and a mismatched inventory

Bots really don't like putting mismatched items together, which makes your single storage chest strategy ineffective.
Last edited by DaveMcW on Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

DaveMcW wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:29 am
1. Storage chests with a matching filter or matching inventory

However, at least from what ive seen, if you have "matching inventory", even if the filter is not set for that item, it will be prioritzed over "matching filter" until its full.
Which makes sorting kind of a nightmare.

I tend to just put active providers over unfiltered chests, whenever i wanna clean up my early game mess.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Good point, I edited them into separate priorities.

ohmyfactorio
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ohmyfactorio »

DaveMcW wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:29 am
1. Storage chests with a matching inventory
2. Storage chests with a matching filter
3. Storage chests with no filter and no inventory
4. Storage chests with no filter and a mismatched inventory

Bots really don't like putting mismatched items together, which makes your single storage chest strategy ineffective.
Thanks. This is much clearer. I'll try to play with this in mind to see how it goes. :D

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

ohmyfactorio wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:24 am
Hello.

What I want to have happen is, when I deconstruct a small section, I want everything to go into the closest storage chest, the one I'm standing next to, not the one at the other end of the base.

Thanks!
i feel like we were only answering the topic title, but not gave hints to what you wanna do

If you absolutely wanna make sure they end up next to you, you´d need to cut logistic zones (the orange area)
If you´d set up storage chest filters with whatever it is you wanna deconsruct, they´d still bring it "elsewhere", if "elsewhere" has any of those buildings stored.

But then again, i´d stop worrying about bot travel time when building inside the main base.
Eventually stuff will get done. I stopped caring about it too much, a long tome ago

ohmyfactorio
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ohmyfactorio »

Thanks for that. I think, for predictability, I'm just gonna build one storage chest, and pick it up after using it. :P

Return to “Gameplay Help”