Trash slots chest: storage chest filled up with requested items...

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Aardwolf
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Trash slots chest: storage chest filled up with requested items...

Post by Aardwolf »

Hi,

I built a logistics "Storage chest" with the entention that the robots would empty my trash slots into it.

They did empty my trash slots into it, but they also immediately filled up the ENTIRE chest chock full with transport belts. Transport belts are an item in my logistics requestor slots.

This means the chest is full so it'll no longer do my intended purpose of being a dump for my trash slots.

How can I correctly make the logistics network empty my trash slots somewhere and not fill up the destination chest such that it becomes useless for this purpose?

Thanks!

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Trash slots chest: storage chest filled up with requested items...

Post by DaveMcW »

Find the active provider chest that is sending transport belts, and replace it with a passive provider chest.

audigex
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Trash slots chest: storage chest filled up with requested items...

Post by audigex »

The above comment is correct, but to expand on why: Active providers chests will actively "push" their contents into the logistics network: which means, if they can get rid of their contents they will do so. Passive providers only make them "available" to the network.

Without storage chests, that doesn't make any difference because there's nowhere for the active providers to "push" the contents to, so they stay in the chest. If you have storage, though, the active provider will try to put it's contents into the storage chests There are two solutions

1. As above, use a passive provider instead
2. Set the inserter that fills the chest to connect to the logistics network and only activate if the item count in the network is below a certain number

The first option is by far the simplest and most reliable: the items stay in the provider chest until something requests them. The second option works too, but you have to be more careful and it's easier to forget to do it. The second option has an advantage, though, that you can "push" the items to a central storage location which makes them more accessible.

Either way, the following is a solid rule: Use passive providers where you want something to be available to the network, they are your default option. Use active providers only where you have a very good reason to want to get rid of the item from it's current location. This is normally limited to a few specific situations, eg

- Getting rid of used nuclear fuel
- Belt filters to remove items that shouldn't be on the belt
- Isolated bot mining/smelting operations which are not connected to the main network (active providers here ensure the ore/plates get to the destination faster
- Kovarex output if the chest filling up could mess up your circuit conditions

Return to “Gameplay Help”