problem with loading

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
zacbalpo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

problem with loading

Post by zacbalpo » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:15 am

Hi everybody!!!

i am currently having problems with my trains. when they leave a station they are usually not even half full (3 cars).
the problem is that im not getting enough material into the buffer chests in the time the train leaves the mining station and comes back. is this simply an insufficient quantity error or is there something simple I can do? like just increasing the belt speed.

Thanks for your help!!!

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: problem with loading

Post by DaveMcW » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:59 am

Increase the wait time from 30 seconds to 60 seconds.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:07 am

Or just tell the train to wait till full/empty.

Greybeard_LXI
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Greybeard_LXI » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:51 pm

The above answers are good.

Some things to also think about if your factory is still starved.
-- Is the ore backed up on the belts? If so, maybe a faster inserter will reduce the back up.
-- How many chests are you loading the train from? You can reduce belt backup with slow inserters by using up to six chests with splitters.
-- If you already use multiple chests and have a back up before your splitters a faster belt could be useful.
-- If there is no backup and you have few pieces of ore on the belts extra miners could be useful. (But I bet you already thought of this.)
-- If the chests are fed from different miner rows and fill unevenly a belt balancer could help.
-- It might be useful to open another ore patch (if you are using three car trains you will need one eventually) and have your train go from patch A to smelter unload to patch B and back to smelter unload (Wait until full or empty). Or from patch A to patch B to smelter unload depending on how the tracks are set up. (Do not pass smelter unload going from A to B without unloading.

gerrg
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by gerrg » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:03 pm

This might be a bit more complicated then what you're looking for, but it's worked really well for me in the past.

For my pickup stations (where i'm picking up ore or whatever)
-connect all the chests together for the first wagon.
-Connect those chests to the input of an artimatic conbinator
-set the combinator Everything> 1 full wagon ( so it's be > 2000 for a wagon of ore : ore is 50 per stack, there are 40 slots in a wagon, 50*40=2000)
-set the output of the combinator to 1 green square
-do the same thing for the other wagons, so each set of wagon chests is connected to their own combinator
-connect the output the combinators to together and then connect it to a train signal on the entrance to your pickup station
-set the signal to be enabled when it has 4 green squares, or however many wagons your train has

What this does is open the station whenever there is enough materials in the the chests for each wagon to fill up all wagons giving you a full train

it's very similar to the dropoff Station

For my dropoff stations (where i'm dropping off ore or whatever)
-set the combinator Everything < total Space of the chests minus 1 full wagon ( so this might be something like 78k or something for ore. take the number of slots per chest multiplied by the number of chests minus 40 (number of slots per wagon) and then all of that multipled by the stack size)
-do the same thing for the other wagons, so each set of wagon chests is connected to their own combinator
-connect the output the combinators to together and then connect it to a train signal on the entrance to your pickup station
-set the signal to be enabled when it has 4 green squares, or however many wagons your train has

This makes sure that each dropoff station and be unloaded, meaning there's space in the chests for a train to fully unload.

I hope this makes sense! Also, i'm not sure about the "Everything" variable for the combinators. you might need to set them to "Each" or "Anything". I never can remember which wildcard to use there without playing the game.

Skeletpiece
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Skeletpiece » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:08 am

Zavian wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:07 am
Or just tell the train to wait till full/empty.
Wait till full/empty with OR inactivity 10s (Depends on ore load interval)

JimBarracus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JimBarracus » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:30 am

gerrg wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:03 pm
For my dropoff stations (where i'm dropping off ore or whatever)
-set the combinator Everything < total Space of the chests minus 1 full wagon ( so this might be something like 78k or something for ore. take the number of slots per chest multiplied by the number of chests minus 40 (number of slots per wagon) and then all of that multipled by the stack size)
why all the hassle?
I just wire all chests together and enable the station, when there are more than 2500 units per wagon. Mining and loading is usually balanced.
In my current world the ore fields are big enough to feed one train each constantly.
Some have two trains.
By now I don't even control the ore fields anymore. The trains just pile up in the waiting area.

Return to “Gameplay Help”