train signals

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Davehultermans
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

train signals

Post by Davehultermans »

i know this is probably already known or said before. but please make the tuturial for the train signals actually axplain how they work. it doesnt tell you what they do. how they do it. how to make junctions, crossroads or roundabouts. it just had me fiddeling around with the light to "make the red train move". i love this game but i had to watch 2 hours of videos on this subject to understand it. please look into this again! ;)

DaleStan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: train signals

Post by DaleStan »

I think more explanation of this request would be good. What parts of signalling did you not understand?

Maybe imagine the Youtube video you wish you had seen. What would a rough script for that video look like? What screen-caps would you like to find in that video?

Davehultermans
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Davehultermans »

Hey. What i would like to see is a few things.

-What checks a train does before it goes. A.k.a what conditions does it need to have. Especially if you use lights.

-what do lights do. How do lights do this. How do you aply lights to your own setup and not to the premade tuturial.(For example tell us that the traintracks are "snipped into parts" )by the lights and that between all of the lights needs to be enough space for the full length of each of your trains. Otherwise they will block up for example a roundabout behind them.

- how it works if you split a track on a straight line in 2 for for example a trainstation. How do the lights work then. Because i have watched a lot of videos on it by now and i still struggle. The other trains dont pass it if there is one in that station even if the rest is all free to ride.

-and most of all a better explaination of chainlights because oh boy thats difficult. I learned that the contition of a light depends on the space in front of it, not where you placed the light and further back. These sort of things should be told and explained. Or made more easy to use.

How trainstations work and then most importantly how it works if you want them to go to more than 2 stations. Because its difficult to figure out yourself.

Its just a difficult system that overall works. But like a complicated cardgame. You need to be told all the rules and it needs to be explained..... a lot.

Thats about it. Mostly the lights is the real issue.

Also. Give us a handbook ingame. Explaining what does what. And how it does it. And how you use it. I began last week and it wants a lot of work and research from the beginner taking you out of the casualness the game brings later.

For the rest i really love the game. I bought it recently and i already did 32 hours of it.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

A signal is red if there is any part of a train in the "block" in front of it - the area of all connected and crossing tracks after the signal before the next signals. Chain signals show the state of the signals following them, and if there are both red and green signals then it will be blue, allowing trains to cross if they want to path to the green signal. These should be used before and in junctions to ensure that trains do not get stuck in them and you can get maximum throughput.

In the simplest case of a split, just use normal signals right after the split. If you have any other specific questions, let me know - also, if you have a specific setup you want help with, a screenshot would help.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

evopwr
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by evopwr »

I believe the next version has had a lot of work done on tutorials.

Once you understand it, theres a really easy way to remember signals.

Picture a train coming to an intersection, and on the right-hand-side of that track put a chain signal on every entry point to that intersection, and put a normal signal on every exit from that intersection.

Remember signals always go on the right had side of the track. (and same for stations).
If you want trains going both way, put signals on both sides - remembering to put the chain signal on the entry. eg, so on one side of the track is a chain signal, and the other side is a normal signal.

Lav
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lav »

evopwr wrote:Picture a train coming to an intersection, and on the right-hand-side of that track put a chain signal on every entry point to that intersection, and put a normal signal on every exit from that intersection.
I usually follow this by "and then stick as many chain signals inside the intersection as you can get away with". :-)

Return to “Gameplay Help”