How are same-named train station chosen?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Fractaliste
Inserter
Inserter

How are same-named train station chosen?

Post by Fractaliste »

I've a game built as cities link with train.

I created a refuel station at the center of the map, but my world is still growing and my refueling station is not at the center anymore. So I need to place some new refueling stations. But I wonder if I named all these stations with same name will the game do the most optimize choice, or will my train cross the map randomly to refuel through unknown rules?

How are balanced trains over same-named stations?

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: How are same-named train station chosen?

Post by 5thHorseman »

Trains go to the nearest enabled station with the name. For your refueling example, this should work as you want it. It's a bit harder to finagle same named ore/smelting/delivery stations. :)

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

5thHorseman wrote:Trains go to the nearest enabled station with the name. For your refueling example, this should work as you want it. It's a bit harder to finagle same named ore/smelting/delivery stations. :)
Essentially this - the train goes into whatever station it thinks it will be able to reach the most quickly, accounting for red signals, stations, etc.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

The train will only go to the nearest station.

You can use logic wires and deactivate stations, that have a certain amout of fuel stored.
Once the nearest station has enough fuel it is deactivated and the train will look for the next station.

You should also add some logik that delays the activation.
>station active
>fuel is delivered
>e.g. 200 soild fuel
>station gets deactivated
>solid fuel is less than 50
>activate station
>next fuel delivery

Lav
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lav »

JimBarracus wrote:The train will only go to the nearest station.

You can use logic wires and deactivate stations, that have a certain amout of fuel stored.
Once the nearest station has enough fuel it is deactivated and the train will look for the next station.

You should also add some logik that delays the activation.
>station active
>fuel is delivered
>e.g. 200 soild fuel
>station gets deactivated
>solid fuel is less than 50
>activate station
>next fuel delivery
You should also design your entire train network from the premise that your trains may suddenly want to turn around at any moment, and should be able to. I always build my rail grid in large hoops. Others prefer to incorporate the ability to do the 180 into their crossings for similar purpose. I also place an "escape" rail from any stacker back to the main railway (so if a station deactivates when there are trains waiting/entering the stacker, they can quickly get back into the grid without waiting for the station to clear).

Return to “Gameplay Help”