How do I deal with early game biters?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Jetlaw
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

How do I deal with early game biters?

Post by Jetlaw »

What are good methods of dealing with early game biter attacks?

Unless I start in a corner somewhere with good cover from bodies of water I spend so, so much time just walling around and building a gun turret network, then inserters to feed them all with ammo, the factories to build the turrets to begin with etc.

Is there a better or more efficient approach to dealing with early biter attacks?

I tend to operate 8 furnaces for iron, 8 copper furnaces, 3-4 stone furnaces, 10+ boilers and steam engines, 1 electric mine to 2 furnaces. Early game this infrastructure generates masses of pollution which really pisses off biters, but I find with any less game just drags on as I need tons of materials to begin mass production of red and green science.

boro
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: How do I deal with early game biters?

Post by boro »

The best defense is offense. Prioritize armor and shotgun research and take out near camps as soon as possible. As long as there are no medium biters yet taking on bigger camps is still pretty easy.

If you get attacked from all sides immediately a pipe wall is a great alternative for normal wall. It holds back small biters long enough for you to run to that location.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Unless your making your base really spread out at the beginning, there shouldn't be a ton of space to cover. And if your playing with normal biter settings, the attacks are infrequent enough and with low enough numbers that feeding your turrets by hand shouldn't be much of a problem.
Also, the biters attack in certain spots and almost never change spots unless of course you expand out your walls or kill a base. You should be able to notice a pattern of where they are attacking, and then only have to fortify those spots. :)
And as someone else said, if you get the SMG and some heavy armor before medium biters start spawning, you should be able to take out nearby bases, unless they are quite large. :p
Hope this helped!
Image Image Image

xnmo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by xnmo »

In my most recent game I needed to spread out my base in the beginning to get iron, so even with with biter settings on normal they got all up in my grill real quick. I've still got most of my early defenses mostly intact, so I put together a bunch of screenshots to show you my setup.

Protip 1: Walling off completely is unnecessary early on as biters go after turrets well before anything else, so you just need strategically placed turret bunkers in all the areas they are attacking. This takes a lot less time and resources than making a solid wall going across the entire map.

Protip 2: Manually inserting ammo is for scrubs :D
Pictures Ahoy

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

The radar thing is either a hold-over from the earlier combat routines before pollution, or it's because they're usually the highest pollution creating buildings near the front lines, due to their high power usage.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

xnmo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by xnmo »

n9103 wrote:The radar thing is either a hold-over from the earlier combat routines before pollution, or it's because they're usually the highest pollution creating buildings near the front lines, due to their high power usage.

Biters don't go rabid over roboports so I'm guessing it's the former.

Return to “Gameplay Help”