Private train section

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Private train section

Post by zOldBulldog »

Tired of running back and forth I want to setup train tracks along my bus.

I can think of two ways of doing it:

- I could do so by isolating that line and making it a loop, with stops at various assembly lines. Essentially a local passenger train. Would work, but not great.

- Or I can connect the bus tracks to the main rail network, make a "construction train" that I use, and be able to go directly from my work area to mall and back, loading resources as needed. Very convenient.

I like the 2nd option, but I am worried about pathfinding sending trains down that line and running me over.

Is there a way to block those tracks (and stops) for all trains except those going to a stop in the bus section? (none scheduled, just those I use the interface to tell them to go there)

Greybeard_LXI
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Private train section

Post by Greybeard_LXI »

Make a service spur that only connects to the main track at one place. Then use a double ended construction train. Unless you have a very big mall you would only need one station on the spur and then pick up supplies manually. (You can have track going all the way along the bus and manually stop where the goods you want are. Just use the station to get back to the mall from outposts.)

I just put a station at the output end of my mall/starter factory for my private use and run through the mall picking up what I need. When I get logistics I add requester chests and inserters to load the train while I am building an outpost.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

You can do both

A single track along the bus that just goes back and forth.
Plus a small train yard at the mall for construction trains and a passenger train. Outpost supply/ammunition trains can also use it.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Serenity wrote:You can do both

A single track along the bus that just goes back and forth.
Plus a small train yard at the mall for construction trains and a passenger train. Outpost supply/ammunition trains can also use it.
My biggest concern was to keep all the normal ore traffic out of the mall, so that I would not get run over. I knew that I could do both of those.

But reading your post made the solution hit me like the proverbial train. Whether it is a loop or a single track, the key to keeping all other traffic out of the mall is simple... have the exit on ONLY one end. That way ore trains would never pick that route as a shortcut, as it doesn’t go anywhere they want to go!!!

Thanks for causing that bit of insight. :)

betrok
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by betrok »

You can add circuit controlled signals on enter(may be multiple per track to get enough penalty for pathfinder).

gsezz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by gsezz »

I run one track in the middle of my Mainbus. It has one entry from the outside world at the beginning of the bus, and loops back into itself at the end. I have a station about every screen width. I'm using single headed trains, because they are so much faster, especially without wagons. And you can quickly add or take away wagons, without relocating a locomotive and its fuel.
I never tested what happens if I connect the second end to the outside too. I think with many stations on the track the penalty should be high enough to prevent other trains from entering.

I don't use this track a lot transportation inside the base, because distanced never get big enough to make the train really faster than my current running speed on concrete. I mainly use it to hand load trains for building outposts.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

You can isolate your branch using virtually impassable signals so that you can only drive through them in manual mode. Like putting 2 mutually exclusive signals on two sides of the track 2 tiles away from each other. This will exclude this track from automatic pathfinder and you will still be able to drive through it in manual mode.
Or you can leave only 1 entrance to this branch which will effectively prevent all trains from passing through it as it will be a dead end.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Hard wire a lane to be always red to make a dedicated manual driving lane
That's actually really clever. Just be careful that it doesn't cross ANY kind of other track. Manual trains are the #1 cause of train crashes. The main fault is that when Factorio trains get confused they close their eyes, slam the gas and hope for the best.

betrok
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by betrok »

bobucles wrote:The main fault is that when Factorio trains get confused they close their eyes, slam the gas and hope for the best.
It is not confusion but determination.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

I am happy to report that a loop that both enters and exits the bus from just one side never gets used by cargo trains. The route is just too unappealing to the parhfinder logic.

Also, making it go one way on one side of the bus and return on the other side also works great, little space wasted and an easy curve on the far side

Return to “Gameplay Help”