Discharge Defense remote usage

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
TRex
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Discharge Defense remote usage

Post by TRex »

Yes, I've read the thread [1], but I didn't get it/didn't do it right or it doesn't work right now. I built two discharge defenses, put them in my power armor and built a remote which I placed in my quickbar.

Then, I went to annoy some biters and clicked the item, pressed enter while holding it, clicked it again, ... nothing works.

Does it work right now? Can someone confirm it's broken?

[1] https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =18&t=3153

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Discharge Defense remote usage

Post by Align »

While holding it in your hand, just click whenever there are biters chewing on your ankles and it'll fire. But the biters need to be really close, and you need a lot of power.

It's not worth the armor space and materials though.

TRex
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TRex »

I removed all my portable laser turrets and then I saw it.. it looks and works like a charged sweater... not even worth the effect.

Thanks.

If we are ever going to be able to hold biters as pets, I'll have toys for them now.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Discharge defense is broken in many ways.

1. The cursor is bugged. It always shows the number of charges available when you selected the remote, and never updates. This makes it almost impossible to use discharge defense as your primary weapon.

2. It is awkward to use. Instead of instantly activating when you press its hotkey, the remote simply appears in your hand. You then need to click with your mouse button to activate it. The combo you need to master is [Remote hotkey] - [Mouse click] - [Previous capsule hotkey].

3. The concept is all-or-nothing. If it kills all the biters around you, it is a get-out-of-jail-free card. If it does not kill anything, it is useless. The actual results are: 1 shot for small biters, 2 shots for medium biters, 10 shots for large biters. So it is only effective against small biters, or medium biters if you have two of them.

4. It does not stack well. You need to double-click to fire it twice, instead of one click to activate both discharge defenses. That extra half-second might be the difference between life and death when you are surrounded by medium biters.

5. For a weapon that does nothing to large biters, it is horribly overpriced.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

This weapon would make sense, if it would work automatically (=Surrounded by biters)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Gameplay Help”