Getting past early game in 0.16

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Getting past early game in 0.16

Post by Avezo »

I've played this game for so long, yet with each new patch, getting past early game (until you get logistic bots and good enough bot speed) gets more annoying everytime. It makes me sad because I really wanted to get into that part when I still need to set up big coal+ores yard for non-electric furnaces, but it just takes ages for super slow bots to build up so many of smelting rows (personal bots don't help much either). I really don't know what to do, any advice would be appreciated.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Getting past early game in 0.16

Post by Engimage »

Consider using Nanobots mod as it will allow you mitigate early game construction problems.
If you intend to play pure vanilla then you will probably have to endure.
Personally I tend to use stationary roboports + storage chest near it to deploy/upgrade smelting columns. It is much more effective as you can deploy hell lot of bots at a time and not be limited to your armor solar energy.

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ManaUser »

I can't say I've ever felt like bot building speed was a problem. Just how big a smelting operation are you trying to set up?

As a long-time player, I suppose you make heaver use of blueprints than I've got into yet, which I'm sure is smart, but perhaps you need to get your hands dirty and help those bots out a bit. Placing long rows of things like belts and furnaces is easy, and you can still use the blueprint ghosts for guidance. Then bots only need to finish off the fiddly bits like inserters.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

There are also other quickstart mods that add bots + personal solar panels + modular armour to your starting equipment.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

Yeah, Factorio campaigns begin with a brutal grind for the "been there done that" crowd. Load an existing save, or to learn to speed-run the early game, or cheat. It's not a problem that can really be fixed without changing the way the game works.

thomas1304
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by thomas1304 »

maybe try some mods, or cheat in some stuff so the start isnt that slow.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

As someone mentioned, Nanobots are a nice early game bot mod without being totally overpowered. Also I think Angel's logistics fits into the same category. I'll agree the early part of the game can feel a bit grindy but if you are doing anything but a basic rocket launch and done map ... not nearly as grindy as the end game. *shrug*
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

garath
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by garath »

One YouTube creator Katherine of Sky once suggested they might add Nanobots to Vanilla. But other than her video, I haven’t heard any mention of it.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

Mr. Tact wrote:Also I think Angel's logistics fits into the same category.
Bob's mod moves the logistic network tech forward anyway.

sathill
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sathill »

I must say 0.16 early game it is hard. Im also quite experienced with hundreds of hours playtime.
I know what im doing and still phase between green and blue science its hard. Resources are spread apart, starting resources run low or depleted completely. Thanks to new map generation its hard to land grab because of no big lakes. And killing bitters nest are actually hard (thanks to ranged worms) without laser turrets crawl (im going for achievement)

Personally i rush personal roboport tech + like ManaUser sad im placing by hand belts/rails etc only complicated stuff are robo job (combinators/pipe maze). Maybe its not really faster but it takes away a lot of tedious placement.

For balance i suggest move tank tier lower but make it shitload of green+red+military (like 600 or so).
Move "advanced oil processing" tier lower or split it in two research because oil cracking its must have to make successful refinery processing rig. And petroleum its needed for blue science. (im also rushing this tech because who need so much solid fuel?)

Its not like it cant be done or something. Its challenging. But its fairly early game and i can see how many newcomers may give up at this point. After blue science automation things get a lot easier and faster.

But seriously. 0.16 starting resources get low very fast and more are far far away and car recoon its needed. I suggest making starting resources richer 2-3 times. Some people will argue because this can be quite fun but think about newcomer vs 0.16. After 12 hours of struggle most will give up and never get back to this "stupid game" never discovering its late game awesomeness.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

BlakeMW wrote:
Mr. Tact wrote:Also I think Angel's logistics fits into the same category.
Bob's mod moves the logistic network tech forward anyway.
Angel's has early "Cargo" bots which are "slow" but carry half a stack of stuff, a full stack after the capacity upgrade. It really helps out in the early game.
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Avezo »

I just... Carried some of items needed for purple and yellow science by hand and crafted in a few assemblers without bothering about ratios much to get logistic network researched.

Return to “Gameplay Help”