Inserter Problems

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Webby_Gamer
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Inserter Problems

Post by Webby_Gamer »

I bought Factorio a few days ago, and I love it so far. My only issue so far is the my inserters only put in a maximum of 2 ore in the furnaces, the furnaces will smelt an ore, and the inserter will put in another ore, even though there is plenty to put in, and the conveyor belt clogs up. It's probably something easy to fix, but it's annoying. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Xecutor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Inserter Problems

Post by Xecutor »

Inserters normally put twice the amount of items needed by a machine to produce something.
In case of smelters they need one ore, so inserter will put two ores.
You don't need to stuff machines with components. This won't increase production rate, but a lot of items will be there unused, while they might be of use somewhere else.

Webby_Gamer
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Webby_Gamer »

Thanks, I'll just need to add more furnaces to the belt.

doulos05
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by doulos05 »

Webby_Gamer wrote:Thanks, I'll just need to add more furnaces to the belt.
That's the whole idea. Spend time walking around your base going, "Hey, why are these backed up? I'll just add more furnaces/assemblers/etc."

Mangledpork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mangledpork »

I usually walk around going "Why isn't this backed up? I need to find the source of this!"
Or "Ah, now everything is backed up nicely. I can add in another 4 labs and break everything again."

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

Mangledpork wrote:I usually walk around going "Why isn't this backed up? I need to find the source of this!"
Or "Ah, now everything is backed up nicely. I can add in another 4 labs and break everything again."
THAT! :D

doulos05
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by doulos05 »

Mangledpork wrote:I usually walk around going "Why isn't this backed up? I need to find the source of this!"
True, but I'd rather have backups of Iron/Copper plates than backups of Raw iron/copper. I can use the plates instantly by picking them up and crafting in inventory, so plates on a belt represent usable stores. Raw metal backed up on a belt is useless until it's smelted, so I don't like to have that backed up because that backup can't be rapidly converted into finished product in an emergency.

Return to “Gameplay Help”