Want suggestions for better 4 Belt T Junction

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Openhand
Inserter
Inserter

Want suggestions for better 4 Belt T Junction

Post by Openhand »

Hi, i'm looking for suggestion to improve my current design without building something massive to achieve possible full 4 belt output to two different directions from 4 belts input, essentially 4 to 8 belt balancer BUT i dunno if this is a twist but i want it to be able to output full 4 belt throughput in either direction of the T junction, sometimes i can have 4 belt throughput towards making ammo, other times to making something else, but with the one i found on the internet, the 4 to 8 belt balancer, each belt is half thoughput, so instead of getting 4 belts to ammo, i only get 2 belts maximum, this is bad.

Image url: https://imgur.com/a/6Acln

In the picture the belts i'm interesting here is the iron belts, it is supposed to be balanced and a 4 to 8 way T junction, what are your thoughts, is there better solution? ( i was thinking of making the imput 8 half throughput belts so i can have 8 input -> balancing in the middle -> 8 output or something but that seems it could get kinda big.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Want suggestions for better 4 Belt T Junction

Post by Jap2.0 »

There are a few options:
  • Use a 8-8 balancer, but only use 4 lanes of the input. This should work fine.
  • Use a 4-4 balancer, then split each output, sending 1 line from each output each way.
  • Use a 4-8 balancer, such as one from here.
In theory, these should work identically.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Openhand
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Openhand »

Each end splitter needs two inputs else the possible throughput gets halved in either direction, so the 4 to 4 belt balancer with the ends being splitters with just 1 input is no go, seems i really need an 8 to 8 belt balancer then, 8 inputs to match 8 outputs kinda makes sense and seems unavoidable if i want full possible throughput in either direction.

In theory if i have 4 inputs and they all can split off in either direction, i should be able to get full throughput that way.. ahh now i know what i did wrong, i had only 2 of the outputs belts turn down, i needed 4 of them to go down obviously, but then i would have a 4 to 8 balancer pretty much but without the balancing, so i might as well do a 8 to 8 belt balancer so i don't need the balancing part at the start (i think it could still get unbalanced with that in place before it tho)

The last one is kinda beautiful, i'll try that, my current one is just a hack and some belts could possibly get less traffic than others if it wasn't for the belt balancers i put before it (i'm not sure if it helps or not which is why i want a proper solution).

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Except if any subset of 4 belts should have full throughput, e.g. belts 1+2 going up and going down with 3+4 blocked.

If you just split the output of a 4 belt balancer you can do 1+2 up and 3+4 down but not the same belt going up and down.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

using a fast 4 to 8 balancer will give you full 4 yellow belt throughput.
4to8.throughput.png
4to8.throughput.png (80.31 KiB) Viewed 3326 times

Return to “Gameplay Help”