Train help!

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
RedYeti
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Train help!

Post by RedYeti »

I cant figure out how to get the other trains to use the second platform. I have shown where the rail and chain signals are in the screenshot. Please help! (:
Attachments
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (984.75 KiB) Viewed 3359 times

The Eriksonn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Train help!

Post by The Eriksonn »

the stations must be named the same name, other than that i dont know much...

FactorioParadox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FactorioParadox »

First of all, it's bad practice to build your stations over what you're mining; you'll have to rebuild them later in order to get the rest of the patch.

Second of all, trains will, from my understanding, path-find to the closest station, so they go past the switch before they see that the signal is red. If you put a chain signal before the switch, then it will know that one of the signals is red and should then re-path to the next available station. Again, this is from my understanding and may not be entirely correct, but I don't see the harm in trying.
Last edited by FactorioParadox on Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

The station is picked when a train leaves the previous station, all signals after that don't matter.

You need to put an in-between station just before the branch, to force trains to recalculate their destination.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

they will recalculate if they are sitting still too long.

FactorioParadox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FactorioParadox »

Zavian wrote:they will recalculate if they are sitting still too long.

An in-between station would be faster. And once again I am wrong.
Last edited by FactorioParadox on Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lav
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lav »

RedYeti wrote:I cant figure out how to get the other trains to use the second platform. I have shown where the rail and chain signals are in the screenshot. Please help! (:
Are you sure there's a chain signal at the entrance? Not regular signal and not a ghost? Cause I'm pretty sure a chain signal in that location should prevent the train from getting into position that it has on the screenshot.

vortex1967
Inserter
Inserter

Post by vortex1967 »

Hi RedYeti,

As Lav has pointed out the train should not have entered it's current position with a chain signal at the entrance.

In the following image:
Green circle - appears to be the chain signal.
Blue circle - appears to be a rail signal but double check that it isn't a chain signal. If it is, replace it with a rail signal.
Red circle - hidden behind a tree appears to be an extra rail signal that is allowing the train to enter into it's current position preventing it from pathing to the other station if this station is occupied.

If it is a rail signal remove it and the train should start to path into the unoccupied station.
Extra signal.jpg
Extra signal.jpg (204.14 KiB) Viewed 3287 times

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

vortex1967 wrote:Hi RedYeti,

As Lav has pointed out the train should not have entered it's current position with a chain signal at the entrance.

In the following image:
Blue circle - appears to be a rail signal but double check that it isn't a chain signal. If it is, replace it with a rail signal.
Red circle - hidden behind a tree appears to be an extra rail signal that is allowing the train to enter into it's current position preventing it from pathing to the other station if this station is occupied.

If it is a rail signal remove it and the train should start to path into the unoccupied station.
Extra signal.jpg
I can't get very clear view of the signaling, there should be a chain signal, the rails split, a regular signal, and then the station. If it is not exactly like the (with some minor exceptions that probably aren't relavent) then it will get mixed up. Also, the chain signal would be red if there were two normal signals following the chain signal, as the train would stop at the second signal and since the train would be in the block past the signal, the signal would be red. So the evidence points almost entirely towards there being two signals past the chain signal, which would mean the train does not stop or repath at the chain signal.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

vortex1967 wrote:Hi RedYeti,

In the following image:

Extra signal.jpg
Exactly this.

Make sure that:
  • Both stations have the same name
  • You have a chain signal before split
  • You have ONE normal signal right after split and no other signals up until the stop
In your case second train in in impossible position - it could not get into that position if the signaling was right. It seams that you have several normal signals in a row on that line effectively preventing the chain signal before split from working as intended.

As a sidenote you do not need chain signal before the merge, just use normal ones. Chain signals are only used if you do not want a train to pass it if the next block is busy - mostly to prevent deadlocks on intersections and also before SPLIT where a train might have multiple paths

Return to “Gameplay Help”