FIXED Smart Inserters Too Slow

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
puffinOP
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

FIXED Smart Inserters Too Slow

Post by puffinOP »

I've set up a science pack assembly system and overall things are alright but sometimes the Smart Inserter is too slow to grab the item off the transporter belt. This is the standard belt and the inserters are grabbing from a strait part of the path as I know that can gum them up. Oddest of all this seems inconsistent and sometimes the inserter will make the grab just fine. Am I missing an upgrade or advancement? I'm still a relative noob to the game so I know that could be, but I really want to get my research block working without me.

Thanks for any advice!
Last edited by puffinOP on Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Smart Inserters Too Slow

Post by DaveMcW »

Sounds like you need more electricity.

puffinOP
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by puffinOP »

I checked that right after I posted- I was sure it would be it and I'd feel like an idiot, but I'm only using a fraction of what I'm producing. I added another steam engine anyways and it was a no go. They always make a grab for what they're supposed to but just fail at it sometimes. The sometimes working sometimes not is the worst part. I found out even my fast inserter that's fueling my boiler does it randomly and then suddenly no power.

Turtle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Turtle »

puffinOP wrote:... but I'm only using a fraction of what I'm producing...
When you're checking your power, is your Production bar full and your Consumption bar fluctuating? The reason I'm asking is because a lot of people, including myself, get confused by this at first. Your Production bar should never be full. If it is, you're producing as much power as you can and your Consumption is fluctuating because it can't draw any more power than it needs.

puffinOP
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by puffinOP »

Heavens how does that make sense? Thank you Turtle (and DaveMcW though I was too dense to know it). My consumption was still but my production was maxed. I added a several steam engines just to give it a test and they did indeed speed up. I was reading that chart entirely wrong! Is there no see how much power is needed? Time to get myself into the better power modes then and read up on them.

Turtle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Turtle »

The power information panel is confusing, but once you understand it... it makes perfect sense. In short, Steam Engines don't produce more than what is needed, thus the production is not at 100%. So if your power production bar is maxed, your power production is at full capacity so your consumption will fluctuate and not everything will have enough power to operate. There's a discussion about this topic here.

puffinOP
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: FIXED Smart Inserters Too Slow

Post by puffinOP »

Thanks Turtle- I'll give it a read!

Turtle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Turtle »

No problem, glad I could help. :D

Mangledpork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mangledpork »

Many (possibly all, but I'd have to check) power-using machines have a bar labelled "electric demand satisfaction" at the side if you mouse over them. If this is ever not full it shows that there isn't enough power and you need to add more power generation.
The power menu is initially confusing but once you get the hang of it it can become a really useful tool for keeping track of power.

Return to “Gameplay Help”