Need a custom PAX train setup

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
AgentDove
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Need a custom PAX train setup

Post by AgentDove »

I wanted A pax train for my rail-base but the ones I've found aren't exactly what i wanted.
so I made my own.
It just didn't go well.

what I was trying to do was have a PAX train that:
used a double headed train but could still work like a single headed train.
When you got near any PAX station it would call the train to that station.
continue to the station even if the player walks away a bit.
when the player got into the train it would active all the PAX stations to allow the player to select the destination in the trains menu.
all using a single green wire to connect the station.

If some of you nice people could have a go at creating this that would be amazing.
The biggest cause of train destruction in my world is me... ignoring signals.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Need a custom PAX train setup

Post by Engimage »

Here you go
Edit: Found even simpler solution
The idea is to use a gate as a sensor for player. Gates output red signal to both global green wire and local red wire. And station gets disabled if red signal is equal to 1 which means it gets red only via green wire so all remote stations get disabled. Also at the Red=1 train leaves any station excluding current. This means the train has only current station available and goes to it. When you leave sensor area all stations are enabled again (entering train you deactivate sensor).
I added a feature to open gates only when train is on the station to prevent train crash on you however all gates are open simultaneously so when you approach station gates are open but they immediately close if you come closer so it works. Could avoid this but it will require adding a combinator.
Screenshots
Blueprint string
Ah and you got to fuel it somehow. This is not in this design.

AgentDove
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AgentDove »

Wow. I was very much over complicating things. Thank you.
The biggest cause of train destruction in my world is me... ignoring signals.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Now this requires a big bump, that's REALLY good.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

It's interesting, surely. But it still has one flaw: It requires the green circuit across all pax stations, which can be a problem if some poles get knocked down.

[Edit]
I added a feature to open gates only when train is on the station to prevent train crash on you however all gates are open simultaneously so when you approach station gates are open but they immediately close if you come closer so it works. Could avoid this but it will require adding a combinator.
No combinator needed. Add a second layer of walls and a gate. First gate opens and calls a train to the station. Hook the second gate up to the station and set it to open when T>0, then set the station to "Read stopped train" with output to T (as per default). Player approaching the station calls the train there. Second gate opens only when the train is actually at the station.

This system does carry a minor problem however: If you approach a station (which calls a train), then move away from the station (disabling it) the station goes inactive again, and the train that is on the way has no valid destination anymore. Which will cause it to stop in place and cause a traffic jam. Could be resolved by having a default "Depot" active whenever the pax train is unneeded which it'll go to and wait. But that carries it's own problems - if the base is large, that depot could be quite a distance from the train.

pleegwat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by pleegwat »

Add a memory cell to keep the station active until a train has actually arrived, even if the player has already moved away?

Return to “Gameplay Help”