FPS Drops / Nuke / Big Base 15.19

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
DustFireSky
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

FPS Drops / Nuke / Big Base 15.19

Post by DustFireSky »

Hello everybody,

the game is awesome! But i have noticed several things, that are annoying. First, if I launch a nuke with 300 hours playtime, the FPS drops to 10-19 FPS. At the normal game i have 60 fps, expect i launch a nuke... I think the biters are the problem! If I launch a nuke, the Biters react and go straight ahead for me. Thats the thing for the drops i think. There are really great nests and the nest blocking the most of the biters to find a way to me :D Is it so math / CPU intensive ? Fights in a lategame are horrible for me. Laggy as hell.

Second. I started to use the Power-Switch and don't know how it works. The problem was, that I don't know how to connect the thing with the poles.... The game itself didn't helped me. Yes, the answer is easy... I must use the copper cable... That was a great facepalm for me. I was stupid, yes, but the game too. He didn't tell me that. Some captions for that are useful.

General:

I build a 11 Reactor System by my own and yes, I need the Power :D . No Blueprints are used. I had many problems with that. The heat, the water, the exchangers and the know how, that i should use pumps between the Storage-Tank and the Engines. Its a great thing! Also pumps between the Engines are very good.

Exchangers -> Pump -> Storage-Tank -> Pump -> Engine -> Pump -> Engine. etc That solved many problems!

Ok, don't know it is a bug or not. Sometimes, the exchangers doesn't show the Steam! No, 200, no 0.0 nor 0.17. The display are gone. Heat are above 500! What does it mean ? Buged ?

Thanks and sorry for my english :?

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: FPS Drops / Nuke / Big Base 15.19

Post by mrvn »

Engines? Do you mean turbines?

As for no steam: Do you have water?

General: You don't need pumps in most cases. For example I have 16 heat exchangers in a row and only 2 pumps near the end because the steam pipe simply gets too long to flow without at that point. I also recommend to always have some engine or turbine get some steam without pump, or even better have the pump on a separate solar powered power network. Otherwise you can hit a death spiral because the pump don't get enough energy and then they don't pump enough steam to produce the needed energy.

DustFireSky
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DustFireSky »

Yes, I mean turbines :lol:

Without the pumps, the Storage Tanks don't reach the maximum (at me) and the turbines get no steam on long ranges and 60/60 usage without the pumps,although the Storage Tanks are not empty! And for the Blackout Failover, I have a second Power Network that enabled if the factory use more power than I produce. Mostly if i use the robots to build great Things :D The Power Consumption increases around 500 MW, tooks a little time! The pumps cant get powerless. I had redesign the nuclear complex several times and the pumps are the right thing. The same for the water. I build the reactor complex first without having solarpanels, in order to find out, if the construct works or not. If it works or not u can see if the reactor runs at 60/60 Steam turbines usage stable or not.

And the exchangers.... They have water (200/200), but no steam display... Thats curios. Not many, but 4 of them from round about 250 :D They are connected!

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Usually with pumps on the heat exchangers I get a 0.0 Steam display. The pumps just suck all the produced steam out of the heat exchanger. But it displays Steam.

As for getting 60/60 on the turbines and tanks not getting full: True. A tank offers some resistance to being filled the more full it already is. Without pumps they often stop just below 25k. I'm getting 59/60 on a bunch of turbines without pumps, or even less if using 2 turbines per heat exchanger. I assumed that was just the ratios being slightly off. If I weren't using all the steam being produced then it should back up over time and I don't see that. But maybe I have more turbines than needed to make up for that lost 1/60 steam in some of them.

I definetely agree with having pumps when using tanks in series and not just one tank directly attached to each heat exchanger.

jonatkins
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jonatkins »

DustFireSky wrote:First, if I launch a nuke with 300 hours playtime, the FPS drops to 10-19 FPS
WHen does the FPS drop happen? At launch of the nuke? During the explosion? For a few seconds after the explosion?

If the last one, then it's the same issue I found - see viewtopic.php?f=23&t=45973

The issue, at least for me, was actually caused by the high number of blood particle effects active when aliens die. I wrote a simple mod that disables these particles and it's made a huge improvement to FPS for me. See viewtopic.php?f=144&t=50230

Return to “Gameplay Help”