Red Circuit build question

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Red Circuit build question

Post by Mr. Tact »

I have a somewhat large factory, probably short of qualifying as a mega-base, but sufficient for most things. I reached the point where I was building a separate area to create Advanced Circuits (Red). It would seem one full express belt each of copper plates, plastic, and green circuits will support 96 level 3 Assembly machine making Advanced Circuits. I'm assuming there is a better way to use up all those materials using beacons and modules. I looked around on the web and found plenty of builds, but none of the ones I found seemed to stress the full consumption I'm looking for. I'm guessing someone here can point me at something like that... Thanks in advance.
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Red Circuit build question

Post by SyncViews »

Productivity in the assembler and speed in beacons around it is the way to go. Simplest way is logistics bots naturally.

Not got one for fully compressed separate green since I tend to use locam( me and Syrchalis came up with this the other day, which then tiles so can be repeated a suitable number of times (ratio was based on 1 green circuit assembler, results in nearly a red belt per copy).

Otherwise in general if I wanted to have a compressed green+plastic (but less copper due to productivity), if you have beacons down just one side of the assemblers it would be pretty straight forward, can have 1 belt the beacon side and 2 the other, have a cable assembler at suitable intervals. For something tillable with beacons on both sides, only solution we found was belt weaving, but then a similar idea to this blueprint, just different numbers.
We calculated the energy per item loss from less beacons per assembler is not a big deal, but with less then you need more assemblers and more modules which are expensive.

Blueprint String

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Got a bunch of errors off the blueprint string:

"Value must be a dictionary in property tree at ROOT.blueprint.entities[###].items.speed-module-3"

Interesting idea to make the green circuits locally, wouldn't have thought you could produce them quickly enough...

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Ah, just realized/remembered I'm a little behind in updating.. only running 15.12 -- so I probably need to update to make the blueprint work.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

You might want to have a look at this topic :
viewtopic.php?f=202&t=12588
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SyncViews »

Was exported from 15.18, there seems to have been some incompatible changes in the blueprint format, although I cant see anything in the patch notes.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Koub wrote:You might want to have a look at this topic :
Well, at least he agrees with the 96 assembly machines are supported by a single express belt of input.

mophydeen
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mophydeen »

In my book there is an endgame blueprint for beaconed red circuits.
It has 3 blue belts in: plastic, copper plate, green circuits.

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

Mr. Tact wrote:
Koub wrote:You might want to have a look at this topic :
Well, at least he agrees with the 96 assembly machines are supported by a single express belt of input.
Nope. The 96 was before express belts were upgraded to a 40 item/sec capacity. Without beacons you're looking at 144 assembler 3s.

Here's one with beacons

If you come up with another layout, please add it to the max design site - viewtopic.php?f=202&t=12588

With beacons

Mehve
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mehve »

I used this in my old 0.14 megafactory. I wanted a tile-able design that didn't put the copper wires on belts, so this was the result. It takes in an entire belt of green circuits and plastic each, plus 2/3 of a belt of copper, outputs 1.6-1.7k/min of red circuits.

Blueprint

mophydeen
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mophydeen »

Mehve wrote:I used this in my old 0.14 megafactory. I wanted a tile-able design that didn't put the copper wires on belts, so this was the result. It takes in an entire belt of green circuits and plastic each, plus 2/3 of a belt of copper, outputs 1.6-1.7k/min of red circuits.
Mine looks similar for 0.15 but without different belt types.
I try to always use 1 belt type because upgrading such a setup gives a mess

Syrchalis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Syrchalis »

SyncViews wrote:Productivity in the assembler and speed in beacons around it is the way to go. Simplest way is logistics bots naturally.

Not got one for fully compressed separate green since I tend to use locam( me and Syrchalis came up with this the other day, which then tiles so can be repeated a suitable number of times (ratio was based on 1 green circuit assembler, results in nearly a red belt per copy).

Otherwise in general if I wanted to have a compressed green+plastic (but less copper due to productivity), if you have beacons down just one side of the assemblers it would be pretty straight forward, can have 1 belt the beacon side and 2 the other, have a cable assembler at suitable intervals. For something tillable with beacons on both sides, only solution we found was belt weaving, but then a similar idea to this blueprint, just different numbers.
We calculated the energy per item loss from less beacons per assembler is not a big deal, but with less then you need more assemblers and more modules which are expensive.

Blueprint String
Yes this is our build. If you really want a well-working beaconed setup, use it. There are no holdups if you feed it with enough resources, our inserter setups ensure that.

I was definitely surprised how well and smooth it worked, and I think even SyncViews was (and he plays a whole lot more Factorio than me).

One point that makes this amazing is locally created Green Circuits. It helps with the issue of having 4 blue belts of green circuits on your main bus. They integrate very well into the build.

I highly advise using beacons on both sides of the assembly machines because in energy/item it's better, even accounting for the 480kW per beacon. In nearly all cases more beacons = better energy/item ratio. Only if the production building has a very low energy requirement (electric furnaces for example) and low module slots (again, electric furnaces) - then energy/item goes up with more beacons - however, not enough that it matters if you care about throughput (we are talking like 20kw per extra beacon).

What else can I say about our build? Well, we made it together, two minds are better than one. Sync made the fancy belt stuff, I did the basic layout and the math behind it (e.g. why more beacons = less energy) and I made sure it's tileable vertically. Horizontally it's also somewhat stackable, but it's not smart putting more than two next to each other, because the red belt can't handle three of these - but two full belts of red circuits should be more than enough for a really long time.

Mehve
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mehve »

mophydeen wrote:Mine looks similar for 0.15 but without different belt types.
I try to always use 1 belt type because upgrading such a setup gives a mess
I suppose, but I can't see myself ever bothering with such an expensive setup with anything less than top-end belts, so upgrading is largely moot.

Regardless, this configuration is no good for the 0.15 marathon recipe, since it needs twice the plastic and copper, so I need to sit down soon and come up with a more optimized design.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Here is a set of blueprints I made to make most of bus items straight from ore
viewtopic.php?f=202&t=49452
Take a look, there is a full red circuits belt as well

Return to “Gameplay Help”