Why are my logistics robots standing still?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
ares0027
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Why are my logistics robots standing still?

Post by ares0027 »

ok guys so here is the problem; my logistic robots are simply standing next to roboport, until their energy is depleted, then they recharge themselves and it is %50 chance they will continue working and %50 chance they will go back to same spot and wait all over again.

i tried it with low amount of robots (~25-30 per roboport) and high amount (~80-85 robots per roboport) why do you think they are doing this? i once collected 208 of them from one roboport...

edit: i am using latest version atm 0.10.3)

JackTheHat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Why are my logistics robots standing still?

Post by JackTheHat »

They usually do it when they have nowhere to put their stuff. Are those storage chests at the bottom middle inside the orange part of the logistics overlay?

ares0027
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ares0027 »

JackTheHat wrote:They usually do it when they have nowhere to put their stuff. Are those storage chests at the bottom middle inside the orange part of the logistics overlay?
thanks for your reply, and yes they are in orange (supply) zone

JackTheHat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JackTheHat »

Are there any requesters or player logistics that are requesting more than you can fit or carry?

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

It looks like they're waiting to recharge, I think you have more logistic bots than your roboports can handle. Remember, a roboport can only charge 4 logistic bots at a time.

ares0027
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ares0027 »

FishSandwich wrote:It looks like they're waiting to recharge, I think you have more logistic bots than your roboports can handle. Remember, a roboport can only charge 4 logistic bots at a time.
JackTheHat wrote:Are there any requesters or player logistics that are requesting more than you can fit or carry?
nope, in fact it is the opposite, they are holding the items that are demanded in other places (including request chest and player) i also tried placing multiple roboports next to other, thinking that its recarge capacity is not enough, but it is not that, most of the bots have %50+ energy stored. they simply wait, get recharged on that roboport (sometimes they go to other roboports for that reason, dont know why) and, again as i said, %50 chance they will continue working, %50 chance they will do the same thing...

i gather those idle robots (sometimes up to 800 of them) and replace them into roboport, and they start working, but a moment later some other robots (or the once i placed) do the very same thing... there is absolutely no pattern. it is total chaos...

edit: is it possible that robots are in a infinite-recharge cycle because;
1- their destination is too far away, and their current charge capacity is not enough to go there (lets say it will take 500kW to go there (ignoring any and all roboports in the middle), but their capacity is 300kW, therefore they are trying to get 500kW of charge which is impossible, so they always try)?

note: i have read every tutorial, therefore i do not have any place that is not covered by linked roboports, every square meter is covered and it is covered by the supply zone, which is smaller.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

That is eventually possible, if you haven't upgraded your robots yet (research robot speed). But I'm not sure, cause that upgrade s one of the first things I normally do.

Otherwise I would recommend to replace all of your logistic chests (e. g. a requester chest with a provider and then again a requester) to reset their orders.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

JackTheHat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JackTheHat »

If you can upload a save we might be able to work it out. I have had this a few times, but it can be a few things I think.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

I think your idea of an infinite charge cycle might be correct, or at least part way. In one Let's play I watched (I think he was on version 10.2 or 10.3 too), he had a situation that look identical to this. Tons of robots just hovering around his roboport, some carrying things, some not. For him, it turned out he had put such a demand on them all at once that they ALL had to recharge at roughly the same time, so there just hordes of them waiting around the ports just like in your screenshots.
It was fixed by him just placing a ton of new ports in high traffic/work areas. But if you have done that and it didn't help, not sure what to suggest. :/

Maybe try ssilk's idea. Or just try to place more roboports. Also make sure something with requesters and or materials didn't get messed up, therefore making the robots unable to complete their current order.
Image Image Image

JackTheHat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JackTheHat »

Xterminator wrote:I think your idea of an infinite charge cycle might be correct, or at least part way. In one Let's play I watched (I think he was on version 10.2 or 10.3 too), he had a situation that look identical to this. Tons of robots just hovering around his roboport, some carrying things, some not. For him, it turned out he had put such a demand on them all at once that they ALL had to recharge at roughly the same time, so there just hordes of them waiting around the ports just like in your screenshots.
It was fixed by him just placing a ton of new ports in high traffic/work areas. But if you have done that and it didn't help, not sure what to suggest. :/

Maybe try ssilk's idea. Or just try to place more roboports. Also make sure something with requesters and or materials didn't get messed up, therefore making the robots unable to complete their current order.
Yeah not enough roboports could be the problem. It's worth a shot

ares0027
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ares0027 »

Thanks for all your suggestions guys.

Btw I already researched speed and carry limit upgrades for robotics but I may have a HUGE demand, since i am trying to create a Turkish Lets Play video series, i am trying to show (and learn) every aspect of the robotics I almost completely removed every other transportation (except furnaces) i think i will now try replacing all the chests with steel chests, therefore in a way resetting the suplly-demand cycle, and replace then with logistics chests slowly and watch it carefully.

here is my latest save, i know it is a mess, it has ~1550 robots, ~600-800 of them are simply hovering at any time with nothing, therefore slowing production chain, forcing me to create more production lines, demanding more robots to bring supply, forcing more pressure on robots, slowing the production further more, and cycle continues...

https://www.mediafire.com/?ph5mzxww1rmfzn3

Note: In this save file i am also using TimeButtons and Resource Monitor mods.

Note2: Thank you all, again, for all your help

edit: i replaced all with steel chests and after placing a few active and storage chests i have found that all my robots require recharging almost at the sametime, and since i cannot recharge more than 4 of them at a single roboport they wait their turn, and while their turn is coming other 4+ robots needs charging therefore the line is always growing up. solution is probably placing a lot more roboports or the mod that i saw in the forum that adds charging poles.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

A single roboport can handle up to 80 robots to keep in the air, without a queue. In the best case!

Tip of the day:

Try to avoid having more than 80 x number of roboports robots in your network. Better: 50x number of roboports, cause that gives you some room for extensive orders to the construction bots. That doesn't mean, that much robots will not work, but the chance for effective chaos is much higher with too much bots than with a bit too less.

Try to avoid too large networks (> 500 tiles in diameter), cause over long distances the bots become extremely ineffective and transport gets very slow, cause of the average waiting times, until a bot comes to it's source and fly to the target.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

ares0027 wrote:(...)i gather those idle robots (sometimes up to 800 of them) (...)
So, you have over 800 robots in single network and I'm thinking that cause the problem. You have low density of Ropoports in area with high traffic demand. Your robots are gathering in that area from your entire network and Roboports can't handle recharging.

My suggestions:
- Build separated networks.
AND / OR
- Install this mod https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=3798 and put a lot of stations in area with high density traffic.

Return to “Gameplay Help”