Restarting a map

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Tristitan
Inserter
Inserter

Restarting a map

Post by Tristitan »

hey i have a quick question, i started a game and the layout of the ore and the terrian was really good but i completely stuffed up my base consturction & research, is there anyway to restart the map so it stays the same?

Balthazar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Restarting a map

Post by Balthazar »

Press escape -> click restart :lol:

Dark
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dark »

"Restart" just generates completely new map, if you want to restart a particular map then go to load game, select save and press "Map Exchange String" copy it and go to new game and paste that string in there, it may or may not work.

Khalysto
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Khalysto »

I'll prefix this with *I'm a noob*

Do you have an earlier auto-save you could leverage?

=Khalysto=
=Khalysto=

"My friends call me Hadouken cuz I'm down-right-fierce.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Tristitan wrote:hey i have a quick question, i started a game and the layout of the ore and the terrian was really good but i completely stuffed up my base consturction & research, is there anyway to restart the map so it stays the same?
You can never stuff anything up. Soldier on and fix it later :lol: That's where half the fun comes from in this devil game.

Tristitan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Tristitan »

thanks Dark , i will try that, the reason i wanted to restart is cause i pushed my pollution to high without getting piercing ammo for my guns or lazers and i have medium/heavy biter tearing holes in my walls and destroying everything

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

yikes, whats your game time like? I'm currently 4 or 5 hrs into a playthrough and I've got only occasional medium biters and lasers.

Redominus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Redominus »

Map exchange string isn't working. When you create a new map it doesn't read the map exchange string input or it doesn't use it at all. The same happens with map restarting option.
Luckily It is possible to calculate the map's seed from the map exchange string. If you post the string I could calculate the seed. It could take one or two days I'm off of my computer and working on the phone is a pain.

Tristitan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Tristitan »

the key is AAAKAAMAAQADAQYAAAAEAAAAY29hbAEDBAoAAABjb3BwZXItb3JlAQMECQAAAGNydWRlLW9pbAEDBAoAAABlbmVteS1iYXNlBQUDCAAAAGlyb24tb3JlAQMEBQAAAHN0b25lAQME4eBK0oc5AACfgwAAAAAAAAAAAAAFAHvxMZK=

i would be interested in learning out to revearse engineer the map exchange string

Redominus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Redominus »

Is the string you are sharing from a map generated in a factorio version prior to 0.10.x? You cant get the same map in different major factorio versions and different operating systems.

I've made a tool(spreadsheet) to reverse calculate the seed and as soon as I can return home I will add the ability to calculate the rest of the settings.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Hope it helps! You can chek the steps to calculate the seed. In the last step i had to use a custom function(javastrick :lol: ) beacause default binary to decimal conversion doesn't support more than a few bits.

Tristitan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Tristitan »

i pretty sure the game was started in 10.2, and thanks for this, it will be really helpful

Return to “Gameplay Help”