0.15 no electricity with steam engine???

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Reichstein
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

0.15 no electricity with steam engine???

Post by Reichstein »

hello everyone,

I started playing like 24 hours ago so i can be mistaking but when i update my game to a beta version of factorio (0.15.x) all my electricity stopped working and i cant do anything anymore. Im forced to play on 0.14 but i want to transfer some liquids with a train and that isnt possible yet with 0.14 - someone know a fix for my problem?

Thanks in advanced!

arbarbonif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: 0.15 no electricity with steam engine???

Post by arbarbonif »

Boilers changed. They now output steam at right angles to the flow of water. Steam engines only work with that steam.

urza99814
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by urza99814 »

Are you loading the same saved game? The boilers were changed significantly in 0.15, they are much larger and have steam output separate from water pass-through. So you'll need to redesign your steam engine setup in 0.15.

See the example near the bottom of this FFF... water moves North/south while steam outputs east:
https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-187

Reichstein
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Reichstein »

Are there more big changes like this one in 0.15? That can effect my old 0.14 map

Shokubai
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Shokubai »

IIRC the steam issue is the only major change from 14 stable that might break something. I cant recall if trains changed in 14???But I think so. I hadn't played since 13.

Reichstein
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Reichstein »

Do you guys think it even is smart to go from 0.14 to beta 0.15 or should I wait till a stable version realeses?

urza99814
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by urza99814 »

I'd use beta, personally. I'm pretty sure there's about zero chance of them reverting that change, so playing with 0.14 just means your base WILL break later. Maybe you'll be bored with it by then, but maybe not :)

Don't be too afraid of that "experimental" label. It might have bugs, but probably any major ones are fixed by now. I've been playing 0.15 since the day it was released with no problems. Although they *did* change a couple recipes after I was a few days into it, but they made the change in such a way that it didn't REALLY break anything (had to swap a recipe and clear a belt, but that's all) and I'm not expecting any more breaking changes like that (but I'm not a dev and I don't know anything ;)). And I mean the whole game is prerelease so stuff might change, you should expect that on some level, but if you really want to avoid that you can stay on 0.14 or even stay on 0.15.10 specifically (or whatever is latest) if you want the trains but don't want to risk any unexpected changes.

Although if you plan to install any mods you might want to check that first too. I think a lot have already been updated for 0.15 but some might not. I don't really use mods so I can't say much about that.

Return to “Gameplay Help”