How far apart are your buildings?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
terraflare
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by terraflare »

Hi guys, I'm 200 hours into factorio now, currently on my 16th game (only finished 1, and by 1 I mean just launching 1 rocket at 0.13). At 0.15 now I'm back to see that the game undergo major changes.

To some of you, 200 hours may be a short amount of time, so my questions go to you, or actually, whoever that's actually sharp enough to figure it out even before 100 hours :mrgreen:

Often times I'm stuck with building placement that cannot be expanded upon. I have to move the whole structure to a wider landscape.
For instance, I'm making electronic circuit, no problem, just 1 machine is making it. On advanced circuit (red one), I'm adding more machines. to make it (since it takes forever to make one). After researching processing unit (blue one), I'm stumped, and I have to move the whole thing just to accomodate for this, not to mention when I want to make modules 2 or 3.
Another instance is engine unit, then it becomes robotics. You get the gist.

Question is, do you manufacture everything separated as soon as you get the railway system? Or do you keep moving like me?
Also. I plan on manufacturing everything that is used frequently on automatic by machines. Do you think it's worth it?
By your definition, what is a primal material? I'm planning to transport them to the location where I need it processed then I'll process it. For me, primal materials are iron and copper plate (I have not reached uranium), steel plate, lubricant and petroleum gas. Light oils and Heavy oils, since have nearly no use beside solid fuel, is not considered a primal material, at least by me.

I think for some of the seasoned players when they see my base they're gonna have an eye cancer. :?
I am looking to work under somebody, read about it more here:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=46904

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: How far apart are your buildings?

Post by Frightning »

I learned this lesson the hard way in my first every factory: don't layout your initial production in a way that isn't expandable. You should always be considering the question of: "do I expect to need more than one assembler making [insert item in question here]?" If the answer is anything but a resounding "no", be sure your layout allows you to add more assembly machines easily so you can expand production of that item as needed. For instance, in my latest default settings map (0.14.23 still, waiting for stable release of 0.15) I made sure that my smelty, gears, and all types of circuits were laid out so that I could continue adding to them as needed. To get around the problem of the wide variety of items that are used to expand your base, it can be helpful to set up a building store to automate production of all basic base building materials early on.

Here are some pics of the building store I have now...
20170504030456_1.jpg
20170504030456_1.jpg (374.28 KiB) Viewed 9237 times
20170504030500_1.jpg
20170504030500_1.jpg (384.01 KiB) Viewed 9237 times
20170504030507_1.jpg
20170504030507_1.jpg (341.46 KiB) Viewed 9237 times
20170504030511_1.jpg
20170504030511_1.jpg (362.71 KiB) Viewed 9237 times
20170504030516_1.jpg
20170504030516_1.jpg (364.29 KiB) Viewed 9237 times
20170504030522_1.jpg
20170504030522_1.jpg (381.47 KiB) Viewed 9237 times
...earlier on, there was some belt-fu feeding basic belts and such into fast belts, and likewise for inserters, but I have since replaced that with a logistics bot based solution. Notice how I was able to automate a great many items off of the same set of belts (and even eventually brought in more items on the other side to automate more things). The key observation is that most of the early base building materials all use iron/copper plates and gears/green circuits only, hence I can feed all of them off of the same two belts. All of the chests are limited to 1 stack each to prevent excessive manufacturing of items I only use in small quantities (no reason to have 2400 Assembly machine 2s sitting in a chest, 50 is plenty).

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

I put most of my main production line close together. But with 5 spaces (or more) between each production line split off from the main bus. That way I can add another belt if I need to add something farther back or feed in more material. And later it leaves room to add robo ports. If you group everything together you will have a hard time finding space for them.

Smelters are further away to be more easily expandable and changable. Oil is in its own area.

terraflare
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by terraflare »

Frightning wrote:I learned this lesson the hard way in my first every factory: don't layout your initial production in a way that isn't expandable.
Well, I've been trying, trust me. Problem is I keep running out of space (IDK if I'm a dumb architect or just a space hoarding one).
Frightning wrote: The key observation is that most of the early base building materials all use iron/copper plates and gears/green circuits only, hence I can feed all of them off of the same two belts. All of the chests are limited to 1 stack each to prevent excessive manufacturing of items I only use in small quantities (no reason to have 2400 Assembly machine 2s sitting in a chest, 50 is plenty).
Are you putting your gears / green circuits manufacturing line far away from the location of your screenshot? Or is it actually just next to it? Is it transported by belt or train?
Serenity wrote:Oil is in its own area.
Do you pump it and refine it immediately? Turn it into plastics, or lube, solid fuel, or sulfuric acid etc? Or do you bring it everywhere in the form of still a crude oil?

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Do you pump it and refine it immediately? Turn it into plastics, or lube, solid fuel, or sulfuric acid etc? Or do you bring it everywhere in the form of still a crude oil?
Refining and cracking are done right next to each other. Lube can be there too. So I don't run crude for any distance. That also makes it easy to set circuit conditions.

The rest depends on where the other resources are. Plastics needs coal and the sulfur for the acid needs iron. If those can be easily belted there, then they can be next to the oil too. In my current game I have plastics right below refining. But acid is a bit apart from it and I run petroleum to it.

Flamethrower ammo needs steel, heavy and light oil, so that could be together with the acid maybe. And you can have a small fluid bus of heavy, light and petroleum to supply it. Lube production can be there too then.

Then I run a two pipes with acid and lube along my main bus.

But you can certainly have it all together as long as you get the resources to where you need them to be.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

terraflare wrote:
Frightning wrote:I learned this lesson the hard way in my first every factory: don't layout your initial production in a way that isn't expandable.
Well, I've been trying, trust me. Problem is I keep running out of space (IDK if I'm a dumb architect or just a space hoarding one).
Frightning wrote: The key observation is that most of the early base building materials all use iron/copper plates and gears/green circuits only, hence I can feed all of them off of the same two belts. All of the chests are limited to 1 stack each to prevent excessive manufacturing of items I only use in small quantities (no reason to have 2400 Assembly machine 2s sitting in a chest, 50 is plenty).
Are you putting your gears / green circuits manufacturing line far away from the location of your screenshot? Or is it actually just next to it? Is it transported by belt or train?
Serenity wrote:Oil is in its own area.
Gears and Circuits are their own row a bit above (I haven't actually expanded them past 2 assemblers because I haven't needed that level of throughput there; note: one set of 3-2 cables-green for circuits) But that's not the only green circuit production I have, I also have dedicated production blocks for each science pack (not pictured).

The main things I wanted you to see with this design were:
-How to automate many things that use the same materials by just putting them in a single production line
-How to automate things you may not have ordinarily bothered automating in a way that isn't exceedingly wasteful with overproduction.

The other observation to note here is that I was careful as I built up that factory to avoid building anything else in the direction that my building store was going to extend as I added items to it. That's really the key to avoiding space problems: never build in the expansion path of an already established production line. The only other question then is how to place your production lines, and will depend partly on what your start looks like, but generally, I tend to have most of my production lines extending in the same cardinal direction, so I can run belts around behind them to keep them all fed.

Edit: Something I didn't picture that's worth remembering: It's ok to make the same item in multiple places, for instance, I have gear wheel assemblers in each of my science pack blocks (1 for red, 1 for belt and inserter assemblers for green science, and 1 for gear used in inserter for blue science), I just routed plates down there and then 'remade' those materials locally in the relevant science block). Those gear assemblers are separate from the ones feeding my building store. Likewise, my green and blue science have their own green circuit production too (5 assemblers in blue science block too), and so does my red circuit line.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

For the most games you should be able to plan your factory ahead. Not completely but certain logic helps this a lot.

The most popular and easy to understand is the "bus" concept.
This is the concept where you will put certain mass produced intermediate items on belts along the whole factory and will split them leading to all other production areas.

The main bus of a vanilla game should most of time contain following items:
  • Iron plates (4 belts)
  • Copper Plates (4 belts)
  • Iron Gearwheels (1 belt)
  • Steel (1-2 belts)
  • Plastic (1 belt)
  • Sulfur (1 belt)
  • Green Circuits (2 belts)
  • Red Circuits (1 belt)
  • Blue Circuits (1 belt)
If you plan your bus ahead you can start building it from a single belt but leaving space for expansion up to desired width. You should leave at least 2 tiles between all items to make it possible to cross entire bus using underground belts.

After planning your bus you can look at it and understand what items should be mass produced. For these items you should invent (or borrow) a design for expandable production where you can start with 2-3 assemblers but extend it to a full belt production without re-designing. The example for green circuit production design which I just googled for you:
Expandable Green Circuits
You can see this one can be extended south by just repeating the design.
In this case the bus is horizontal and adding new blocks to the green circuit build will not use a space east and west where other production lines are located.

So having an iron gearwheel line and green circuit line in the start of the bus (usually on opposite sides of it) lets you build most of your early-mid game items. And you can still expand your factory with new lines as you need them - further down the bus and expand the bus itself with faster belts and the number of lanes per items as you progress.

Obviously from this design comes a concept of having a separate "smeltery" section which will contain dozens and later on hundreds of furnaces which process ores into plates. You should also design them so you can expand them to produce enough items to feed your bus. At some point you will probably even move smeltery away from your main base and supply smelted products by trains.

Same goes for oil production. It will most likely be a separate location as it requires a lot of space. And there are many ways to make the design expandable from the start where you can have a couple refineries in the beginning ending up with dozens.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

You can even do 4 belts of green if you don't produce more green circuits locally (which some people do). Sulfur doesn't necessarily need to be on the bus. You can pipe in the acid if you want. Then produce batteries and put those on the bus (needed for accumulators, laser turrets and high tech science).

Gears are better produced locally. One belt will never be enough to supply anything of note. Often you need multiple gear assemblers even for a relatively small production line.

Also note that that green circuit array is extremely copper hungry and eventually the assemblers further down the line will be starved. At first it works just fine by feeding it just the two belts from the bus (technically half belts only as you split them off), but leave space on the sides (and preferably opposite of it) to inject dedicated copper lines later on instead of supplying it from the bus. Likewise the single green output line won't be enough eventually. So you can split off the output line to the sides.

As a beginner you won't need that right away like this. A small factory can run surprisingly long on just 8 or 12 green assemblers if you take your time and it's not constantly running. But once you start producing modules or high tech science you'll be starved for green circuits. And even with just those few green assemblers you will notice that the last ones don't get enough copper.
But as said it's expandable. Just start with the basic version above and leave space. Then you can extend it as needed. First by adding dedicated copper lines from their own smelter. Then by adding even more copper. Which of course needs large smelters and mining to support it.

Not from me, but KathrineOfSky (late game version for an extremely large factory):
Attachments
Green Circuits Large.jpg
Green Circuits Large.jpg (773.75 KiB) Viewed 9104 times
Last edited by Serenity on Fri May 05, 2017 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

I am not trying to give the ideal solution. It is just an overall idea for the stuff. I am not trying to talk about megabases which do have larger scale production than one needed to launch your first rocket and win.

And most of time a full belt of Iron Gearwheels is enough for producing everything a player needs to win the game. And having such a belt on a bus is much better than producing gears locally as most of assemblers consuming them are not active 100% of time and to make them work at full speed you will need to place A LOT of gearwheels assemblers locally which is not good at all space wise.

And if you say 1 belt of gears is not enough you should understand that it is worth full 2 belts of Iron Plates and I doubt you do rely on supplying your base with such amounts at this scale having in mind 2 another full belts of Iron Plates to make 2 lanes of Green Circuits and some more for direct usage across the base.

And for any average base having more than 2 lanes of green circuits is nowhere needed as it, again, requires 2 full belts of Iron and 3 full belts of Copper to saturate.

Ofcourse at some point it makes sense to make a dedicated green Circuit setup to feed those 4 or even more belts but this is definitely another scale of a game.

And I personally tend to dedicate iron and copper inputs to green circuits and gears terminating them there effectively and not going further down the bus to prevent "drainage" of the factory input.
This all is a matter of personal preference and will come with experience.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Well, I'm more the Logistic Network type of guy, mainly because of performance issues on my legacy hardware. That said the following can surely be adopted for belts too.

So I'm using a standardized grid/module-system I developed (and which I'm still improving on every time I start a new map to iron out certain quirks I experienced in pevious iterations).

v2 Module System

This is a section near to the core of my base for the v2 iteration of my Module system I've been playing with in 0.14 (and also in 0.15 experimental now until I decide to start over soon because of some of the changes in map generation/difficulty and other things):
v2 Map
As you can see the rail system is also integrated within the module system. The train network grid surrounds what I call a "Super Module"

Each of those so called super modules consists of 3x3 base modules which have something to do with one another, like for example Electronic Circuits, Advanced Circuits, Processing Modules which are all grouped in one Super Module. Each Super Module is completely encapsuled from all the other super modules (So their Logistic Networks don't touch). The transfer between the super modules happens via the Train network. Each Super Module can have up to 8 train stations (2 on each side of the Super Module).

Here's what the Super Module for my smelting area currently looks like:
Super Module for Smetling
It has a lot of storage for Ore/Plates... but isn't fully utilized currently. There's some more space for expansion too.

Here's a close up for how the Steel smelting Base Module looks like:
Base Module for Steel Smelting

v3 Module System

In my newest v3 iteration I included streets between the modules because in v2 I couldn't drive with cars in between the modules (which sucked majorly because I always had to park outside and go in by foot) and also because I always got stuck somewhere while walking because everyhing was crammed together way too tightly. Another problem of v2 was the amount of Roboports proving insufficient in some high demand scenarios (especially when trains arrive and begin to load/unload), so that's fixed as well in v3 by effectively doubling up the amount of roboports.

Also for the first time that iteration also takes Chunk sizes into consideration (because I'm such a freak and I like it when things line up perfectly):
v3 Basic Grid Module
0.15.6 Blueprint String
That's the basic Module I'm going to use for everything in a map I'm going to start soon (when I found suitible seed for my planned map configuration that is).

Inside the Stonebrick area I'm again going to place the Assemblers/Chemplants or whatever else I need.

Each Module is dedicated to produce only one single product.

I then group several of those modules together to form a Super Module of 4x4 or 5x5 (3x3 from my previus v2 iteration proved somewhat problematic with the placement of trainstations which I'm not quite happy with... In v2 I thought I could fit 2 Train stations in sequence on each side of the Super Module so to have a maximum of 4 trainstations per side, just to find out it barely doesn't work due to the length of the stations).

Below I made a 2x2 example to show how the modules will go together:
v3 2x2 Super Module Example
I can even have some variants if I need more space and where the amount of robots trying to recharge isn't that problematic:
v3 2x2 Super Module Variant Example

So with such a module system I obviously know how far my buildings are apart and if I run into bottleneck issues I can just stamp down another copy of a module. If I need to relocate something it's the same... deconstruct the module and move it somewhere else. I'm not touching a damn thing by hand.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Tricky one. Every time you play you learn a little more of how to lay out your factory but there's always more mistakes to be had. Probably the best trick I learned is to belt iron and copper ores from Train Station on either side of your factory, send them up through the furnaces and have the plates come back down. Smelting is easily the area you will need the heaviest expansion in so having this vague open-ended area above your base really helps with that.

Normally I would leave 6 empty tiles between each section (both vertically between furnace columns and horizontally between production lines) to make room for Roboports and unexpected changes. So basically at the start of the game I ghost say an Electronic Circuit production line, count six tiles and ghost another Electronic Circuit line, then another six tiles and the Advanced Circuits, then whatever I need under that but always leaving 6 tiles room. It also really helps to leave a good 10 tiles or so between your bus and any Assemblers to allow for weird belt nonsense you might need later, but this isn't as much of an issue as usually you can move the one production line across without too much drama.

Still on my first 0.15 game and with a better understanding of Productivity modules and the promise of a longer game I figured it was time to give productivity module setups a go. Actually some setups (such as Electronic Circuits) I've come up with have been more compact than standard layouts but usually I need a few Beacons on the outside so that extra room is really handy for these cases. You can also run spurious belts through it if you've got a stone or coal deposit in a weird spot, or in the case of productivity assembling lines you can belt the excess product around. Can also (barely) be used for small-scale localised production of components like gears or Copper Cable.

I think 6 tiles is the minimum I'm comfortable with, I've tried less and always wanted for more space, this game with 6 has been cozy but comfortable.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:Tricky one. Every time you play you learn a little more of how to lay out your factory but there's always more mistakes to be had.
Factorio in a nutshell. :D

There's like 4 years oi Factorio epxerience in that module system now (especially in the individual layouts of the various recipes) and still when a new major version is about to show up I have found so many flaws in my old system and accumulated so many new ideas on how to solve them. Normally I try to stand through a major version with one base... because it takes way too much time to get that far to just abandon everything whenever a new quirk shows up. But when a new major version comes out something is going to break anyways... in 0.15 case mainly the map generation broke the map. But also the endless science stuff and changed recipes, and nuclear power are also game changers.

terraflare
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by terraflare »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:Tricky one. Every time you play you learn a little more of how to lay out your factory but there's always more mistakes to be had.
I am so prepared to make mistakes and restart my whole factorio save file again since I have not yet reached uranium.
MeduSalem wrote:Well, I'm more the Logistic Network type of guy, mainly because of performance issues on my legacy hardware. That said the following can surely be adopted for belts too.
Holy hell mugballs, I for one am not someone who often watches factorio videos from youtube, but this is seriously nuts.

And 200 hours into factorio, I recently have known that 3 copper cables 2 green circuits is the correct ratio, I always did 1:1. If the belts are so thick, let's say the green circuits have 4 belts running, so uh... If they are to pass through a mass production of advanced circuit, should the assembling machines take all 4 belts as an input? I mean I can't imagine that's possible unless you are talking like making the belts go through 2 sides of the assembling machines, which again I assume will not be expansion friendly.

And just curious... what are the settings of your maps? I keep seeing the forum's pics and their resources are really sparse. I for one am a greedy bastard so I crank everything to very good for the richness, and low frequency and very big size (I read about the algorithm somewhere and somehow came to conclusion this is the best way to have abundance of raw materials).
Frightning wrote: The main things I wanted you to see with this design were:
-How to automate many things that use the same materials by just putting them in a single production line
-How to automate things you may not have ordinarily bothered automating in a way that isn't exceedingly wasteful with overproduction.
I tried the single production line, but the assembly machines that are encountered first by the incoming materials keep hogging all the materials, waiting until they stop producing for whatever reason (like full chest / result), and the next machines will start taking the mats. If the line is too long, then the machines at the back will have nothing to work on until all the machines have stopped working. Is this to be expected? I used 12 quick inserters on both sides of the belt (no stack ins yet), and a fast transport belt (no express belt), leaving no room / spaces at all during unloading the materials, yet the materials often dont reach all the way back.

Oh, and speaking of single line production. Let's say I have an inserter production line, if I want to make a fast inserter, what do I do? Same question until it goes all the way to the best tech (stack filter inserter).

*EDIT Just for info, this is what my minimap looks like for the settings
Attachments
Factorio Minimap.jpg
Factorio Minimap.jpg (283.25 KiB) Viewed 9046 times

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

terraflare wrote:And just curious... what are the settings of your maps? I keep seeing the forum's pics and their resources are really sparse. I for one am a greedy bastard so I crank everything to very good for the richness, and low frequency and very big size
Depends entirely on your tastes. Even with very low you often get way too much stuff close by. Other times you lack some crucial resource like oil, stone or even iron. The map generation has always sucked.

But low frequency and high richness is good if you want to be encouraged to use trains more often. The map you show has way too much stuff :)
I tried the single production line, but the assembly machines that are encountered first by the incoming materials keep hogging all the materials, waiting until they stop producing for whatever reason (like full chest / result), and the next machines will start taking the mats. If the line is too long, then the machines at the back will have nothing to work on until all the machines have stopped working. Is this to be expected?
Then you need to push through more material if possible. How depends on the setup. Sometimes half a belt isn't enough. Sometimes it is. Sometimes it helps to upgrade to red belt if you can supply the materials and they just don't get through fast enough. You can put in two belts and then mix them with splitters to refill the inner belt (see the big green circuit array above)

There limits to throughput of course. Sometimes you just need a second assembly line.
If the belts are so thick, let's say the green circuits have 4 belts running, so uh... If they are to pass through a mass production of advanced circuit, should the assembling machines take all 4 belts as an input?
No. You use a splitter to split off half the materials onto a perpendicular belt. For some production you need a full belt like that. For others half a belt is enough. So you can put two materials on one belt. With two belts on each side that's a maximum of 6 materials. That's what I use in my long assembly line for assorted low volume stuff like power lines, lights, pumps, miners, trains etc. Some things like engines can then be flown in via logistics network. Also note the trick on the left side with using underground belt to have room for output chests. That way you don't need to leave room between the assemblers (this line is really long)
Various stuff
Below is my blue circuit production. It has 1,5 green belts and half a belt of red:
Blue circuits
It's then possible to use a belt balancer after the split to reshuffle the lanes. Or use some splitters to merge back half of the next belt as a hack. You definitely notice when a line takes a lot of materials. For a more advanced solution check YouTube for "priority splitter". It uses four splitters and some simple circuit conditions to push all materials to the outer lane. So you can always be sure to have the maximum possible.
Oh, and speaking of single line production. Let's say I have an inserter production line, if I want to make a fast inserter, what do I do? Same question until it goes all the way to the best tech (stack filter inserter).
Here is my inserter production. Can be made more compact but I have plenty of space and the basic principle is always the same.
Inserter production
On the right you can see the split off. Here a half belt of iron is enough. That allows me to put gears locally on the other half (inserters put out on the far side). Use a buffer chest to pass inserters when they aren't needed further down the line. Use belt for fast inserters.

Above is assembly machine production. Speed modules are also flown in via logistics network.
That part really isn't pretty I could have used the same gear/iron line for all now that I think about it. I kinda hacked that in when I really wanted to automate assembler production. I'll probably fix that right away :) Assemblers suck down a lot of gears and iron, but it's something you only need in batches, so if you have to wait a bit for new production that's usually fine. Now that I think about it, I probably noticed that half a belt of iron wasn't enough for full production, so I did it that way and added a full belt of iron.

With those pictures also note that you should leave more space between the bus and the production lines. I always tell myself to do that and then don't :)

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

How far apart are your buildings? do you manufacture everything separated as soon as you get the railway system? Or do you keep moving like me?
I keep everything tight, moving things as tech becomes available. If things are placed too far apart, you need more logistics (belts, bots, or trains) to get things from one place to another.
I plan on manufacturing everything that is used frequently on automatic by machines. Do you think it's worth it?
Yes.
By your definition, what is a primal material?
Any material that is the base material for crafting items yourself, these are always listed at the bottom of the recipe window. Examples are: Iron Plate, Copper Plate, Steel Plate, Electronic Circuit, Advanced Electronic Circuit, Engine Unit, Electric Engine Unit, etc.

terraflare
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by terraflare »

So uh, I restarted a new game again with RSO (resource spawner overhaul) mod.
Serenity wrote: But low frequency and high richness is good if you want to be encouraged to use trains more often. The map you show has way too much stuff :)
I did low freq, very big size and very good richness. Still the map is like that, idk what went wrong, it's nearly identical with very often freq.

The reason why I want to did that is not because I want everything to be on trains or anything. I'm such a resource monger I feel very bad for constructing anything above any kind of resources, it's like such a waste to not mine it. So I tried this mod, it's quite weird because I get like a resource patch as big as a lake and nothing but trees and barren lands for the next 1000 steps (or pixels, whatever you call it).

Is there anyone who use this mod? Or can I go specifically somewhere to ask something about this?

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kelderek »

terraflare wrote:How far apart are your buildings?
Usually not far enough, lol. Every time I think I've planned for enough space I end up I always end up with spaghetti.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

terraflare wrote:
Frightning wrote: The main things I wanted you to see with this design were:
I tried the single production line, but the assembly machines that are encountered first by the incoming materials keep hogging all the materials, waiting until they stop producing for whatever reason (like full chest / result), and the next machines will start taking the mats. If the line is too long, then the machines at the back will have nothing to work on until all the machines have stopped working. Is this to be expected? I used 12 quick inserters on both sides of the belt (no stack ins yet), and a fast transport belt (no express belt), leaving no room / spaces at all during unloading the materials, yet the materials often dont reach all the way back.

*EDIT Just for info, this is what my minimap looks like for the settings
When you are initially setting up your building store, yes that is very normal (you don't need to be making 1.5 Assembly machine 2s/sec for all of eternity :P ). I tend to spend about 1-2 hours on the setup of it mainly for materials to buffer/be made (it can be done much faster if you expand your smeltery heavily, but I like to play with very small starts and that's a recipe for a massive biter problem with those kinds of map settings). But once that's all said and done, it makes getting the materials needed for base expansion incredibly painless. I would avoid putting mass-production items (like science packs) in a building store, I use dedicated factory blocks for those, though 0.15 may make me change up how I do that business with infinite research being a thing now.

For the inserter issue, in my pictures, I have a logistics based solution (late game), but earlier on I run a belt off of the buffer chest for regular inserters and bring it just within Long handed inserter reach of my Fast inserter machine (similar things apply for belts too). Likewise, Filter inserters are fed off of the Fast Inserter machine in the game manner.

terraflare
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by terraflare »

Frightning wrote: I tend to spend about 1-2 hours on the setup of it mainly for materials to buffer/be made (it can be done much faster if you expand your smeltery heavily, but I like to play with very small starts and that's a recipe for a massive biter problem with those kinds of map settings).
I don't spawn any enemy (none in the size option of enemy bases). LOL. So pollution and security (radars and turrets) are never constructed.

Have always dreamt of building a mega factory though, now with the RSO maybe I can finally do something big. Will update the thread if I have further questions.

Thanks a lot peeps :D

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

terraflare wrote: I did low freq, very big size and very good richness. Still the map is like that, idk what went wrong, it's nearly identical with very often freq.
Sometimes you get just unlucky and stuff is close by even with low settings. And it varies by resources. In my current game I have tons of oil close by. Other times you don't even have starting oil. Stone is a bit rare. There is quite a bit of iron ore around by main base, but other copper and iron patches are spread nicely apart.

I think RSO separates resource generation in the starting area from the rest of the map though

To get a feeling for the map generation settings, generate lots of maps and use this console command:
/c game.forces.player.chart(game.player.surface, {lefttop = {x = -2048, y = -2048}, rightbottom = {x = 2048, y = 2048}})
That will reveal a large part of the map. That way you get to know what the settings generally result in. But as said you still get quite a bit of randomness that can throw some things off.

Return to “Gameplay Help”