train braking force

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
cooltv27
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

train braking force

Post by cooltv27 »

im currently stuck with my research and my only option is train braking force. I was wondering how useful it is?
it really doesnt seem useful at all but im kinda hoping im wrong

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: train braking force

Post by Kelderek »

Well, it's one of those things that is more useful the more trains you have. It allows your trains to stay at higher speeds longer since they need less time and distance to stop. If you don't have many trains you probably will never notice it.

I imagine it also helps larger trains more than small ones.

cooltv27
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by cooltv27 »

I dont feel like being able to slow down faster (achieve a greater negative acceleration) is useful
im a math-y person so I would be ok with some math on how big of an effect it is

saturn7
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by saturn7 »

It''s most useful when you drive around in a train yourself. Unless you have a heavy load in your train network, or very short routes, I shouldn't affect throughput very much.

Braidcutter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Braidcutter »

cooltv27 wrote:I dont feel like being able to slow down faster (achieve a greater negative acceleration) is useful
im a math-y person so I would be ok with some math on how big of an effect it is
It is very useful for large train networks, with many stops and trains. The reason is 2 fold.

#1. Lower stopping distance means trains spend slightly more of their trips distance at full speed.

#2. Most importantly, trains moving at full speed need to "reserve" less space, with a shorter stopping distane, each moving train occupies less total space of the system.

Return to “Gameplay Help”