Need help with rail yard signals

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Plawerth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Need help with rail yard signals

Post by Plawerth »

I'm trying to make a very large rail yard. The upper right part at "A" with the main line and bypass around it works properly.

But the spot at "B" does not work. I don't know how to set up these signals.

I assume I need a signal for entering the rows, and the open row entry signal to the left is either Green (rail signal) or Blue (chain signal).

But if I put a chain signal on the feeder line to the rows, it turns red no matter if it is a chain or regular rail signal. I have no idea what is wrong.

Mehve
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Need help with rail yard signals

Post by Mehve »

Just to be certain, trains come in the top, and leave through the bottom, right? The signal orientations say so, but double-header trains mean that you might have intended otherwise.

I think your issue is that you didn't provide enough room in the waiting rows to fully hold the trains, so their back ends are sticking out into the entry row, which is why the signal at 'B' remains red.

Plawerth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Plawerth »

Yes all trains enter from the top and leave from the bottom. After some more fooling around with it, yes apparently the trains sticking out too close to the intersection was causing the permanent red.

Except the closest path near the entry rows is clear and green to pass, so what is the problem? There is a clear path regardless of whether the other paths are blocked.

fregate84
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by fregate84 »

2eR0cMP.png
2eR0cMP.png (1.32 MiB) Viewed 4783 times
block because this signal/train. A zone ans bypass C is the same zone. so red because a train are present on the zone.

Mehve
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mehve »

The remaining waiting lane should be just fine, the problem is that nothing can actually reach it without getting past that permanent red signal B. If you fix the lanes/signals so that the trains aren't hanging out, a train should see a clear path to the empty waiting lane.

reallyLost
Inserter
Inserter

Post by reallyLost »

Plawerth wrote: Except the closest path near the entry rows is clear and green to pass, so what is the problem? There is a clear path regardless of whether the other paths are blocked.
That green signal applies to the track after the green. Not to the small piece between the green the red before it. That section has a train in it.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

reallyLost wrote:
Plawerth wrote: Except the closest path near the entry rows is clear and green to pass, so what is the problem? There is a clear path regardless of whether the other paths are blocked.
That green signal applies to the track after the green. Not to the small piece between the green the red before it. That section has a train in it.
yes it is for the track after it which is clear, and since it's clear the chain signal before it should be blue, not red. ;) that is what Plawerth is trying resolve.

have you tried picking up the chain signal and replacing it? perhaps move it further up the rail?

when you do get the signal working i'm curious how your stacker will work. trains calculate their path to the next station when leaving a station.
i've used stackers like this before and found trains going to the same lane. making a pre-station before the stacker (with a wait time of 0) necessary.
train path logic is going to get re-vamped in 0.15.* i'm told.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

impetus maximus wrote:
reallyLost wrote:
yes it is for the track after it which is clear, and since it's clear the chain signal before it should be blue, not red. ;) that is what Plawerth is trying resolve.

have you tried picking up the chain signal and replacing it? perhaps move it further up the rail?

when you do get the signal working i'm curious how your stacker will work. trains calculate their path to the next station when leaving a station.
i've used stackers like this before and found trains going to the same lane. making a pre-station before the stacker (with a wait time of 0) necessary.
train path logic is going to get re-vamped in 0.15.* i'm told.
Pretty sure that track isn't clear, thanks to the tail ends of the trains that in the waiting bays already being too long and thus in the entrance block to the rail yard. (At least double check that this is not the case.)

reallyLost
Inserter
Inserter

Post by reallyLost »

impetus maximus wrote: the chain signal before it should be blue, not red.
No, that's not how chain signals work. In addition to checking that the next signal in front is green, they also require the block immediately in front of the chain signal itself to be clear as well. Imagine if there was a single loco in the small space after the chain signal and before the green signal. The green signal isn't affected, but you can't expect the chain to be green with a train immediately in front of it.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

Plawerth can you stand next to the stacker, save the game and upload the save file?

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Frightning wrote: Pretty sure that track isn't clear, thanks to the tail ends of the trains that in the waiting bays already being too long and thus in the entrance block to the rail yard. (At least double check that this is not the case.)
This is the case here 100%.
Chain signal depends on the forthcoming normal signals as the additional function to the main goal - go red if the block is ocupied. And the block is ocupied by the tails of trains that did not fit within stacker and are 1 tile too long for them resulting in the chain signal being permanently red.

Return to “Gameplay Help”